Monday, December 7, 2015

Paula Ross Blog Post 5: Routman Chapter 8 "Teach Comprehension"

     Teachers of kindergarten have many literacy goals for students such as letter/word recognition, fluency, recall, etc.  In the push to master these skills, the deeper levels of understanding such as analysis, summary, and knowledge of what reading is really about, can get lost.  Although these early rudimentary skills are essential, just as important is teaching our students how to make sense of what is read.  I was anxious to explore this chapter because I want to make sure I have established the best possible foundation for my early readers.
     First off, I was reminded to be careful that I don’t get misled into thinking I am teaching effective comprehension strategies if all I am actually doing is presenting a comprehension tool.  Knowing the tool will not necessarily transfer into understanding the “big” picture of reading.  My goal is not that they can read words, but that they can independently monitor and regulate their own thinking while reading those words.  Therefore, the focus must be on strategic reading more so than individual strategies. Reading is always about making meaning from texts.  This is what I do as a reader all the time.  It is a process I don’t even think about at this point, but one that my students need to know in order for them to become proficient.  I can teach them how to make meaning by allowing them to “hear” what is going on in my mind as I decipher a text, particularly one that challenges me.  I want this process to become as much a part of reading for my students as how to hold the book.  I realize my deep thinking about what I do as a reader is actually the most authentic source I have to use when showing my children how to read for meaning.
     It is helpful to know that rereading is supported as the most useful strategy.  I plan on modeling this more often with my class.  I will read a “challenging” piece of text, share what I think it means, then I will reread and share again, revealing how much more understanding I have gained the second time.  As I constantly go through this process, my hope is that my students will make it a normal part of their reading routine.  This goes right along with self-monitoring which also does not come automatically.  It must be taught.  Here again, is another time I can share my self-monitoring techniques to help my students establish their own.

     Finally, the Daily 5 literacy framework provides the perfect time for my students to interact with their peers to increase comprehension and enjoyment.  Our “read to someone” station is a place where partners not only read to each other but engage in collaborative talk about what they have read.  As I have listened to some of their conversations, I have found it interesting to hear many of the words that I have previously used.  This obviously reinforces over and over the significance of using the right language.  If they begin now to not only “talk the talk” but also find true meaning from a text, it should stay with them forever.

1 comment:

  1. Paula, the goals you set for yourself as a teacher of reading are perfect for helping your students grow into self-aware readers. Your point about the difference between sharing a comprehension tool and teaching an effective comprehension strategy is an excellent one. I fear in my own practice, I may have focused too heavily on just the tools and not the implementation. Starting with our youngest readers, helping them to see how these tools work to assist in comprehension will definitely lead to noticeable improvements in reading comprehension as they grow.

    ReplyDelete