Tuesday, September 15, 2015

Ashleigh Wines- September Blog Post "The Pleasure Principle"

   When reading this article, there was several times that I thought in my mind, "I need to implement this in my classroom!", or "This is so me!" I really enjoyed reading this article.  I actually loooove to read, so it's not hard for me to enjoy reading something. :)  I want my students to feel this way too!! I can not remember having a classroom library growing up, but I do remember my mom taking me to the public library and letting me roam through the children's section.  I don't know how I picked books, I guess just reading a few pages, but I want to be that person who influences my students to love to read like I do.  When reading through this article the first thought that came to mind was that I do not do enough independent reading time in my classroom,  I struggle to find time to have a quiet time in my classroom where students can relax and read.  I also struggle with independent reading because in times that I have implemented it in my classroom, I notice some students just look around. I didn't know quite how to get them sucked into a good book! :)
    One of the first things that caught my eye from this article is workshop.  I would love to learn more about how to include this into my day.  Honestly, I have never thought to share with my students new authors, new genres, or new books.  This would be huge for my students though! I would love to add a section in my room, or near my library where I could sit out books for the students to view! This is a new step I would love to take! I also love how this is where I could teach mini lessons on how to actually read or understand their text.
    As I stated earlier, I do not implement independent reading as much as I feel I should in my classroom.  Time is the biggest issue for me right now.  I am learning how to balance my time throughout the day.  Another thing that I noticed when reading the section "Getting in the Zone" is that I don't have a "comfy" reading environment in my room.  One of the bullet points from the list of things that help students get in the zone is pillows or cushions.  I would like to add these types of things around my room for my students to use.  Another thing I feel that I need to work on is the number of book and genres in my classroom library.  I do not feel that I have enough books in my classroom library for each of my students to read through and enjoy.  I really enjoyed the "Readers Bill of Rights" insert as well as the "Leveling Made Easy" insert.  I would love to add these as posters to my classroom library as well! Maybe even have my class come up with their own "Bill of Rights" as a whole! :)

2 comments:

  1. I love the idea of having your class come up with their own Reader's Bill of Rights! We can definitely look at the areas you'd like to improve in your classroom library when we do your Extreme Makeover :) .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ashleigh,
    First of all, I want to thank you for your thoughtful reflection on the article and considering how to implement some of the suggestions into your classroom. I want to encourage you to consider trying out the workshop structure for reading where you carve out time for independent reading time and then support it with a mini-lesson with modeling, with book talks, with strategies that provide them with a purpose to try out in their own work and with feedback through conferences. Sincerely, Dawn

    ReplyDelete