Friday, September 4, 2015

Mollie Kuhn - Blog Post 1: Miller Section 1

Debbie Miller: Section One - Not This: Is There Enough Time? And is Time Enough to Support Independent Reading?

I love the challenge that Miller gives us at the beginning of this section to find the time to give our children the opportunity to read each day. In our classrooms we have many choices to make as teachers. Over this past school year, I have learned that one of the most important decisions we must make is to allow our children to have ownership over their reading. In taking the Daily Five course last year, I have learned so much about balanced literacy in my classroom and how to include independent reading on a daily basis. So, I feel like I have learned how to find the time to do this.  However, I would like to focus more now on how to use that time well.
I have already begun to implement components of the Daily 5 in my classroom this year. We have mostly been working on procedures and the "how to" of the Read to Self component. Many of my students are still adjusting to the rigor and expectations of our day in Kindergarten. Many are still working on self-control and I am still figuring out the best placement for many of them to optimize their reading time. One area of time management we are currently working on are the transitions in our day that seem to eat up much of our time.
In the article, Miller discusses how independent reading time (SSR or DEAR) isn't just about sitting quietly and reading. This is the area I would like to work on so that I can optimize this time of our day. We want to know what is going on inside their heads when they read so that we can help teach them so they can be better readers. I also like the point she makes on page 8 that we need to give children multiple opportunities a day to read and that some will be more structured than others. This shows how literacy can be integrated throughout the school day in all areas of the curriculum. We can also use read alouds, shared reading, and guided reading experiences to provide focus and support to our students. "When children read extensively, they learn about themselves, other people, and the world; they learn that reading is something they can do that empowers them to control their lives, connect with each other, and make the world a better place" (p. 1).

4 comments:

  1. I like that you pointed out the ability to integrate literacy experiences throughout the day in different areas of the curriculum. It's very important that students see how we using reading across disciplines and to practice these multiple types of reading.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that our students must have "ownership" of their reading. Daily Five gives a balance of time, management, transition, and independence which are invaluable tools to allow that ownership to take place. I love working with educators such as yourself who are committed to creating conducive learning environments that inspire teachers as well as students!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also enjoyed the Daily Five course that I took last year with Dawn and have learned so much from the class that I want to continue using this year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Mollie,
    One of your characteristics as a teacher that I admire the most about you is your willingness to constantly grow and learn. I am thankful that our Daily 5 balanced literacy course last year was helpful to you in promoting independent reading and a structure that allows for differentiation and student collaboration. I agree with you that the first section of the Miller book really asked us to re-evaluate how we are doing independent reading and if we are providing support and scaffolding and feedback to our students. Without the instructional components of the mini-lesson and the monitoring and feedback that come from our conferencing independent reading becomes just another "station." It has the possibility to be so much more! I also loved the quote you referenced, " "When children read extensively, they learn about themselves, other people, and the world; they learn that reading is something they can do that empowers them to control their lives, connect with each other, and make the world a better place" (p. 1). Thank you! Dawn

    ReplyDelete