Tuesday, September 1, 2015

Paula Ross: August Blog Post-Miller Section 1

Miller Section 1: Not This: Is there Enough Time?  And is Time Enough to Support Independent Reading?

     I taught 7th grade Language Arts in the 90’s.  This was a time when D.E.A.R. or SSR was brand new and seemed like an excellent idea to improve student achievement in reading.  I vividly recall how I had a love hate relationship with this required 20 minutes in my schedule.  On the one hand, it was a valuable time for me (as a teacher I also had to drop everything and read, which I loved) and for those of my students who enjoyed reading.  However, as the author suggested in this section, it was a time when I knew my weaker readers were left with “fake reading and ultimately disengagement.”  There is no denying that to improve upon anything, one must spend time at it.  Daily reading is essential. Nevertheless, without instructional support, as Miller points out, this time in practice will not pay off in productivity.
     The question was posed, “How can you find the minutes?”  As a kindergarten teacher I wanted to stand and applaud the unessential pauses in the day that Miller shared which rob our precious minutes.  I agreed with each one, especially the “Calendar Activities.”  From my research I find no reason to support this mundane and tiresome activity that eats up a huge chunk of the morning.  Why spend a whole lesson on what day it is when we can address that in our daily writing? Frankly, who cares what the day was yesterday or will be tomorrow?  Will knowing these truly benefit them in reading or math?  To me it is about the most unessential part of the day, and worse, it is done first thing when the children are most alert.  Transitions are another area where we lose the minutes.  Good management is not just how effectively we are to keep students engaged in a lesson, it is about how we “train” students to move from place to place with purpose and rapidity.  The “reading block” section was something I know I must address.  I too find error in the way I at times do activities “about reading” instead of actual reading.

      The most effective way I have found that allows me to confer with individual students while they are engaged in reading is through the Daily Five model for balanced literacy.  Without this both strategic and differentiated approach to my ELA block, critical and fundamental teaching time is lost.  It allows me to meet one on one with students where I can give feedback, offer support on how to make meaning of texts, and encourage them to develop needed behaviors as they read.  I am anxious to read the next section to see if this type of approach is addressed.

5 comments:

  1. Dear Paula,
    Thank you for your insight into reading and time. I also taught through the "SUR" or silent uninterrupted reading. It was difficult at first for second or third graders to get the idea of time spent reading. For the first two weeks of school, I would model the concept and excitedly explain about something I had read. This usually helped set the stage for their reading.
    I agree that it is hard to find time, but I like you believe that it is time well spent.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had no idea that you taught older kids! I loved your response to this reading. After seeing your Daily Five in action, I wholeheartedly agree that it is an authentic and valuable tool that should be used in the classroom. You provide your students with choice and support them as they are working. Both of these are vital in the literacy classroom.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Paula,
    Thanks for your post. You know how much I love using the Daily Five as well! We are still in the early stages of implementing it in my classroom as I am still teaching some of the "how to's" of the Daily Five time. Yes, it is the optimal way to allow student to have choice and more time to read and write everyday. I agree that getting rid of activities such as Calendar are helpful in finding the time to give back to our students.
    Thanks,
    Mollie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Paula,
    I appreciate the thorough reading you did on this chapter. I also appreciate how you took time to take a critical look at your literacy block and your schedule to determine where your most effective literacy time was spent and where you could carve out more time for meaningful reading and writing. I agree with you and with Miller and Moss about how we unintentionally get stuck in time drains in our day that start out as a five minute something and pretty soon take up twenty minutes because we pack in more and more activities that maybe aren't as important or as effective as our most meaningful times of the day. I am glad to hear that your Daily Five balanced literacy stations are continuing to go well. Sincerely, Dawn

    ReplyDelete