Monday, March 21, 2016

Karen S. Johnson-March Blog (Ch. 9-Emphasize Shared Reading)



Karen S. Johnson-March Blog
Ch. 9 (“Emphasize Shared Reading”) from Reading Essentials:  The Specifics You Need to Teach Reading Well

      The chapter focuses on the best ways to implement shared reading into our curriculum.  I think this is an important aspect of any reading curriculum.  It is also essential for our kids to learn to communicate and share ideas and thoughts with each other as we move towards working together on group based projects.  I’ve never really thought about shared reading being broken down into so many procedures as Routman lists in the chapter.    I also think it’s good to give the partners specific things to discuss as part of shared reading.  Sometimes I feel as if I just say “Turn and talk”, but I’m not giving enough direction as to what those conversations should be about after they’ve read.  It’s interesting that the teacher takes a major part of the reading of the texts.  I have typically let my students read on their own, but I definitely see the value of teachers reading during that process to model to the students.  This chapter had some great information about shared reading.  I especially found it useful learning about the procedures Routman uses for shared reading.  It helps me realize that shared reading needs to be more purposeful and more guided.


1 comment:

  1. Hi Karen,
    Like you, I found Routman's strategies for improving our shared reading helpful. I thought her suggestions for modeling think alouds and turn and talk times would increase the effectiveness of that time for our students.

    ReplyDelete