Wednesday, September 30, 2015

Once I had the desire to love reading.  However, when it became mandatory that we read “boring” books over the course of our summer I quickly became uninterested.  It was then that I started to pull away from the enjoyment of reading.  As an adult, I had to rediscover the joy of reading and attempt to encourage my students to find that “joy.”  The article “Pleasure Principle” implies that despite a student’s reading level all students can love reading.  While teaching 3rd grade I can remember developing reading centers into my daily routine.  I would the lesson by teaching a 10-15 minute mini lesson and provide the students with a little independent practice.  Once that was over the students would venture off into their flexible reading groups.  Each group had a different assignment but the focus was reading.  For example, some students would be reading independently, others were listening to audio books, and some students would be conferencing with me.  While talking to students about their books, I could feel a sense of pride and creating a relationship with them.  They were always eager to tell me about their books.  Like the author, I agree that reading workshops, can promote reading as an enjoyment.  I do feel that in order for students to fully understand this enjoyment that the practice of reading should not only occur in the school building.  Students need to know and understand that reading happens EVERYWHERE.  In addition, I admire how the article states that students should not receive rewards “tangible items” as tokens, but simply then enjoyment of reading should be satisfying.  The only problem I see with this is how can we fix the issue of providing “gifts” when society has made it seem like it is necessary for children to ALWAYS get something if they are following instructions or made a good grade on a test.  Today I continue to struggle with meeting the needs of my students especially when they aren’t reading/performing on a 2nd grade level.  After reading this article, I have decided to share the “secretes” of reading with my students.  Hopefully, this will be the start of our journey.  

2 comments:

  1. I think you're off to a great start in meeting the needs of your struggling readers. I also love that you had such success with conferences in your third grade classroom. This could also be a tool you can use with your second graders!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Tacheria,
    I loved reading how you are fostering a love of reading in your third graders and how you are working to model in meaningful ways how reading is authentic and enoyable! Thank you! Dawn

    ReplyDelete