Tuesday, September 29, 2015

Oct. Blog Post 1: Miscue Analysis: Cristin Harris

After reading the article, Miscue Analysis for Classroom Teachers I was able to see the importance of conferencing and checking students for their miscues.  One aspect of the article I found interesting was that it focused on not the number of miscues a student had but the quality of the miscues that student had.  I had never thought of it that way, but hearing how different miscues can influence a reader's understanding of the text makes sense.  As fluent readers we perform many tasks while we read that we aren't aware of.  Often it is hard to explain these tasks to children because we have become so automatically accustomed to them.  However, it is important to model for children how good readers read so they are able to use some of the strategies we use.

I really liked that the article also included the markings for miscue analysis.  It gave me a basis and a guide to use when I conference with my students.  I now feel more confident about what I am looking for.

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad the importance of determining the quality of miscues stood out to you.This is something I didn't understand until I was working on my literacy degree. Sometimes what we think is a student who is weak in reading is really making high quality miscues and has more strengths than we thought. It all comes down to knowing our readers, monitoring their progress, and providing instruction based on their needs. This is definitely something that is helpful during conferences with readers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Cristin,
    I am glad that you found this article helpful in explaining the purpose behind miscue analysis and the coding examples found in the article helpful in providing you with some practical examples of how this could be used in our classroom with students to help us know our readers better so we can provide targeted instruction that builds off of their strengths and helps grow their areas of weakness. Thanks you! Dawn

    ReplyDelete