Monday, February 15, 2016

Cheri Parker Ch. 6 & 7 March/April

    In “Plan for and Monitor Independent Reading” ch. 6 I find it difficult for me as a teacher who likes to have my plans ready to go each week to let go. Allowing choice means I can’t know where the learning will go.  After 28 years of teaching, I continue to get mixed messages about what I am to plan for, allow for, and move on with.  Routman states, “..even when time allotted to independent reading, increasingly a computerized reading-incentive program is in charge; not the classroom teacher.”  I completely agree with this as I was new to AR tests when I arrived to SC 17 years ago.  I described Reading Renaissance as Accelerated Reading on steroids.  There was too much time spent on reading leveled books, taking tests, gaining points, and watching the same children earn the prize for reading the most books.  Ironically, this year, my students are all out about taking AR quizzes.  I have not done very much to encourage it, but I think they want to throw that pie in my face.  I do agree with Routman when she claims, “struggling readers lose their independent reading time because they often leave the classroom.” I see that in my classroom.  I try to pull those students who are pulled out for small group lessons, but in the end, their independent time reading is limited due to catching up.  It is a belief that we should set the learner up with just enough challenge in order to work out problems for himself and to become more self-monitoring, self-regulated, and independents.  I am always amazed, yet never surprised how this time of year the majority of the students in my classroom are able to solve most of their own questions and problems because that is what is expected daily.

    In ch. 7 I find that assessing individuals as they read is agreeably more productive than formal tests.  Often I find it helpful to assess fluency for smooth reading and include comprehension at the same time. Many of my students strive for “word calling” and believe that is what makes them great readers.  Each week when we read a class selection, I give them a grade on fluency and comprehension.  I am listening for their voice and understanding of the selection.  I do not listen for whether they can sound out the word alone.  With that said however; it is difficult to prove at an SAT that a student is in need of assistance without a formal assessment.    Using challenging material while making connections across the curriculum is ultimately important for all students yet mostly our challenging readers and writers.  They have to make these connections and not always feel like they are on the defense because of an evaluation.  I like that it is mentioned to conference with them both directly and indirectly.  The most eventful time of day I find is when the children want to conference with me to discuss their concerns about what they are learning or ways we could improve their thinking.

2 comments:

  1. Cheri, I feel your pain on letting go. I was also a teacher who had her plans prepared a week in advance. Last year, when fifth grade decided to embrace inquiry, there were a lot of growing pains. I find that you're letting go more than you think with our focus on inquiry this year and that's a great thing! In terms of our lowest students missing important instruction, I often agree. I respect their need for remediation but that time out of the classroom can lead to them falling further behind. I've always wondered how an inclusion approach to RTI or other service would change this.
    Finally, your points on assessment were great. I love that you don't only assess for word recognition but comprehension as well. It's so important to have that component in place in all grade levels. For your SAT meetings, what types of assessment are you referring to? I feel that an IRI (which assesses both fluency and comprehension) is a great tool to bring to the table. Conference notes in conjunction with more formal assessments provide a more holistic view of the child as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Cheri, I am a planner too and have worked to find ways that help me find peace and solace in being well prepared but provide my students with more and more ownership and possibilities for choice and ownership within the plan. I appreciate the ways you work to promote comprehension and to make the most of the time we have for literacy through inclusion.

    ReplyDelete