Monday, February 22, 2016

Melanie Holland - December Blog Post: Routman's Chapter 11 "Build on Best Practice, . . ."

     This chapter focused on the importance of doing what is best for your students and not just following a scripted, "research-based" program.  If you just follow a program, are you truly meeting the needs of all of your students?  What research proved the effectiveness of this program?  Was it endorsed by classroom teachers or scientists?  Does it take up too much time to complete all of the components?  Will the program help your students short-term or provide them with long-term learning?
     When I first began teaching, I totally panicked when I saw what was included with our basal reading program.  There was no way to complete it all, and being a brand-new teacher, I was worried that I would be viewed harshly for not doing all that I needed to do.  A veteran teacher took me aside and reassured me that I didn't need to do it all.  I just needed to do what was necessary to teach the skills that my students needed.  I took her advice, but I still didn't see the growth that I wanted to see in all of my students.
     In the seventeen years that I have been a classroom teacher, I have seen programs come and go, and I have seen many changes in state standards.  No two years have been the same.  There's always been some new and improved way of doing things, new standards, or new mandates from the State Department of Education.  I always did my best to follow the guidelines that were set for my coworkers and me, but I was still disappointed in the gains that my students were, or in some cases were not, making.  However, I began to see true improvements when I implemented an integrated curriculum and even more improvements when I began using a balanced literacy approach.
     During the first several years that I taught, subjects were taught in isolation.  Sometimes, we would make connections, but those were often few and far-between.  I am embarrassed to admit that now, but it's true.  When I came to Fairforest, Lindi Metcalf introduced me to integration, and I was pleased with the results.  Students were able to make connections, and I saw more "light bulb" moments than ever before.
     At the beginning of the 2014-15 school year, I began the Balanced Literacy course with Dawn Mitchell.  I'm not going to lie.  The thought of releasing some of the control and having the students rotate throughout ELA scared me.  It took me way out of my comfort zone, but that was what I needed to do.  I have seen so much growth during the last year and a half.  I am amazed at what my students have been able to accomplish.  I am able to meet them where they are, and I have gotten to know my students better than ever.  These improved relationships have led to more growth because I know exactly what they need.  Small groups have pushed the students that wanted to hide during class discussions and let the top performers answer all of the questions.  They now see that they can figure things out on their own when they can't rely on other students, and confidence levels have increased.  This increase in confidence has led to even more growth.
     If the me from ten years ago were to walk into my classroom today, she would totally freak.  It's never quiet, but the students are engaged and learning.  We have discussions about what we're reading.  Students are doing peer editing and helping each other.  In those rare moments where it gets quiet, I think something is wrong.  That is a complete 180 from how things used to be.  I never want to go back!

1 comment:

  1. Melanie, I agree with you that integration and a balanced literacy approach are far more effective than any prescribed program. I'm lucky to have started my teaching at Fairforest with Dr. Metcalf guiding me through integration. Now when I plan, it's extremely difficult to not integrate. I love to find more ways to make that integration meaningful to students. I can tell by your post that you feel the same way!

    ReplyDelete