Monday, February 15, 2016

Helen Reed - Blog Post 6 (Jan/Feb) - Routman Chapters 6 & 7

“Any reading program that substantially increases the amount of reading students do will impact their reading achievement.” Reading is the key to growing as a reader. While Routman goes on and explicitly says that just reading will not help our students if they are not understanding what they are reading, reading is still truly at the core. Routman says later on that practice, with feedback, will help our students to grow as readers. At the beginning of the year, I was really good at monitoring and conferencing with students while they were independent reading. I took the time to know my students as readers and had a good idea of what they could read. Now, half-way through the third nine weeks, I feel, and know, that my students have grown as readers, but I no longer know them as readers. I have gotten busy and/or slack about completing individual conferences, and documenting them. After book clubs, a poetry unit, and biography unit, I feel that the choice and time from independent reading has been lost.  The amount of time I’ve given to students to read independently has dropped by 10 to 15 minutes from the beginning of the school year. If we’re lucky, students have gotten 10 to 20 minutes to read independently a day.  I hope to get back into student-selected, ‘just right’, sustained independent reading though to finish out the school year.


The assessment chapter was a great spark for me and provided so many tools and resources to support monitoring students during independent reading. Informal reading conferences are how I have gotten to know my students as readers. I like Routman’s list of questions she asks during reading conferences, and how she has applied the standards on the high-stakes testing into her conferences. She asks students not only about the main idea and vocabulary of their book, but also dives in and asks the students to get a deeper understanding of the text by asking them why their character behaved in that manner or more fully understand the author’s purpose. Routman’s rubric on page 113 went the extra step for me. I have conducted reading conferences with my students but never knew how to continually hold them accountable other than our conferences. This rubric can not only hold students accountable, but also shows the evidence that students are progressing as independent readers. It is one thing for a teacher to know that their students have progressed as readers, but we must have the evidence to share with parents, other teachers, and administrators, to support what we already know. 

2 comments:

  1. Helen, I also really liked the rubric for reading conferences in the Routman book. Like you mentioned, it's a great way to keep students accountable and share their progress with all stakeholders. The focus you've placed on holding conferences in the beginning of the year was a great start to helping you learn about your readers. Because you've done this, you have a better idea of how they've grown as the year has passed. I've been just as guilty of letting conferences slack off as the year goes on due to other requirements. It's great that you've recognized this and plan to incorporate more reading into your day. You can also conference about reading students are doing in relation to any inquiry research they're completing. Talking to them about how they conduct research or design projects covers many of the reading standards.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Helen,
    I'm glad you found these chapters helpful. Conferencing has been one of the most effective strategies I have implemented into reading/writing workshop because it is both an instructional tool to provide feedback and support to students and it is an assessment tool because it provides me with information to guide my planning.

    ReplyDelete