Monday, February 29, 2016

Molly Peake Blog Post 6-January/February Routman Chapter 10: Examine Guided Reading


Blog Post 6-January/February

Routman Chapter 10: Examine Guided Reading

Molly Peake



Whether I am teaching reading, math, science or social studies, I want to provide my students with lessons and then learning opportunities that are the most effective.  I have seen over the past couple of years that my teaching styles and techniques have had to change to go along with how children need to be learning to prepare them for the 21st century.  I have seen that teaching whole group is becoming something of the past.  However, whole group instruction is beneficial and sometimes has to be done.  



I have started using small group instruction in reading more and more.  I have known that guiding reading groups is one of those teaching strategies that will accomplish many goals.  In reading, I try to have guided reading groups at least 3 times per week.  After reading Routman’s chapter on guided reading I have learned more strategies that I want to try with what I am already practicing with my students. 



“Meeting with a small group of students and guiding and supporting them through manageable text” is a definition from Routman about guided reading.  I am doing already what this chapter states about grouping students based on similar reading levels.  Both of these characteristics of guiding reading centers are how I determine students for which center to be a part of.  However, Routman stated there are many other qualifications to consider when choosing books for guided reading other than just the reading level. 





Routman also has me thinking about whether or not my reading centers are worth the time they are taking.  Guided reading needs to have a purpose and students should be “contributing to reading” and there should be “enjoyment”.  Centers should be challenging to students but easy enough for students to work independently.  This is a strategy that I am going to have to work on a little more to perfect. 

       

1 comment:

  1. Hi Molly,
    I'm glad Routman's guided reading strategies were helpful to you. She had me rethinking the quality of the independent center/station work I provide to students during independent conferencing or guided reading. She's right - if the work isn't meaningful and authentic we need to rethink it.

    ReplyDelete