Friday, April 15, 2016

Karmen Wade – Blog Post: 7: March/April Chapter 4: Teach with a Sense of Urgency (Routman)



Karmen Wade – Blog Post: 7: March/April
Chapter 4: Teach with a Sense of Urgency (Routman)
I chose to read chapter 4 because of the last word in the title, urgency. The first thought that entered my mind when I saw the word urgency was fast. According to the chapter, teaching with a sense of urgency is more about teaching in the moment rather than teaching quickly! It’s about teaching with passion, not teaching with the use of a script, workbook, or worksheet. Urgency doesn’t mean that our classroom is a stressful, rigid place full of drill and skill activities. Teaching with a sense of urgency is about making every moment count in the classroom and that makes an impact on student learning.
 When my students are working in class I always place a large emphasis on making sure that they take their time. I remind them not to rush!  I tell my students that it’s ok to take chances and create things. I encourage my students to try something new and even if they make a mistake, they can always try again! Just as I tell my students each day, take your time, don’t rush through your assignments, stop and think about it, try something new,  etc. the same things should apply to me.  I have learned that teaching material more quickly does not help students learn. I believe that it actually sends the child the exact opposite message of what learning is about. Rushing through daily material can send students the message that it’s not about discovery but more about completion. Learning is a life long journey. Teaching with urgency is about reminding our students to explore, make mistakes, and build models, re do things if it doesn’t work the first time. It allows for more inquiry based learning!
According to the chapter, teaching with a sense of urgency is not about hurrying along through standards but more about teaching in the moment! While reading, I began to really stop and think about my daily teaching practices and routines. Whether I am teaching reading, math, science or social studies, I want to provide my students with lessons and then learning opportunities that are the most effective. I found the whole-class reading approaches helpful. This year I have really tried to stop and model and share my own thinking with my students during reading instruction. I've model for the whole class what I'm thinking and asking myself as I read. This year I have started using small group instruction in reading more and more.  This year I have also tried to incorporate more time for partner sharing. One thing that I definitely want to try with my students in the future that I have not done before is a shared reading lesson where each child has a copy of the book and an interactive writing lesson. It seems like it would be a fun way to incorporate smaller group sessions through literacy instruction.  I would also like to create an area in my classroom for an independent writer’s workshop to be used daily. I already have a pretty good classroom library. My favorite area of my classroom is the area I have for read a –loud and shared reading.  It is an area where the students and I can come together for daily discussions about the many wonders the children have and share purposeful talk. I am not teaching standards but students! I believe teaching with urgency is fun for the students and the teacher. It helps the students become stronger in their role as a learner.  After reading Routman’s chapter on teaching with a sense of urgency I have learned more strategies that I want to try with what I am already practicing with my students. Teaching with a sense of urgency is about making every moment count in the classroom!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Karmen,
    I am glad that this chapter helped you consider how to teach with a sense of urgency - not in a way that rushes through a to do list - but in a way that is purposeful, in a way that makes every moment count through meaningful engagement in reading/writing/thinking.

    ReplyDelete