Wednesday, April 20, 2016

Molly Peake Blog Post 7 March/April

Blog Post 7- March/April
Routman Chapter 10: You Only Have So Much Time
Molly Peake


This chapter of Routman spoke volumes to me.  It explains exactly how I feel…exhausted!  I spend countless hours planning and getting ready for the upcoming day and week.  I feel, just this year, that teaching is beginning to consume more of my time than anything else in my life.  As I am working on this blog I have 2 children in After School waiting impatiently for me to come pick them up.  Routman had a lot of good ideas about how to make learning more meaningful for students which in the same time will help cut down on planning lessons that are not needed.  Routman suggests that teachers should continually ask themselves when planning “how is this activity helping my students become more independent as readers, writers, and thinkers?”  Routman explains to teachers that if the answer to that question is “no” then to set the assignment to the side.  Routman strongly suggests to make ongoing evaluation a part of every literacy activity that maximizes participation and learning.  All of the ideas that Routman shared prove that “authentic reading and writing where the students have some challenge, choice, control, and opportunity to collaborate and motivate students the most”.  From what I have observed in my classroom with guided reading and partner reading, I totally agree.  I plan to use these ideas to help with planning so that teaching is not “taking over” my life and use my planning time more wisely.

1 comment:

  1. Molly, like you I loved this chapter because it helped me evaluate all that I am doing and ask myself the million dollar question - "Will this activity help my students become more independent readers/writers/thinkers? or help teachers do the same? If it doesn't, then we need to change it so that it does or cut it out. I believe in ongoing assessment and reflective practice so we can constantly grow and improve along with our students.

    ReplyDelete