Friday, April 15, 2016

Olivia McNorrill - Post #6, Routman, Chapter 12

Chapter 12 - You Only Have So Much Time

Time is a precious commodity, especially in the classroom. 180 days always seems like ample time when long range plans are made in August. By the time December/January rolls around, I'm always in awe of how quickly the days have flown by with the final days rapidly approaching. After reading Section 1 of Miller's, "Not This:  Is There Enough Time?  And Is Time Enough to Support Independent Reading?" I gave my schedule careful analysis to make sure I was making the most of every school day. Routman's final chapter of "Reading Essentials" echos and provides further examples of ways to fill your instructional time with best practices to ensure no time is wasted. I found the chapter to be calming and refreshing. While there is an urgency I feel to make every minute count, I have learned a great deal through Routman, Miller, and authors of various articles read over the course. When best practices are used, stress is greatly reduced for both the teacher and the student.

I must admit that I have exhausted myself many times trying to pack too much into a lesson. Spending hours on preparing lessons before and after school. There are so many resources, materials and activities available. I find it overwhelming trying to decide what is best to do with students. So I end up many times, planning too much. At the end of the lesson, the students and I had a great time but we're both exhausted. Routman’s explanation of why it’s important to spend most of your time thinking really helped me understand how I can better keep myself focused. After she meets with students to determine needs, interest, purposes, and goals she then tailors lesson plans for that particular group of students. She goes on to write that there are four basis questions that she keeps in mind all the time.

·       What do I want them to know and understand?
·       How can I help them know and understand it?
·       How will I know when they know and understand it? How will students know that they understand and let me know that they do?
·       What are my new expectations for students? (then it repeats again)

I feel that these questions are key to maintaining a desired focus while making the most of every moment. Prior to building a lesson, I now make sure I’ve answered these questions first before building the lesson. "With a clear and meaningful focus, we can do more instruction, more effectively, in less time." (p. 218) What have I learned by building in more time to reflect and think? That I’m keeping the work simple, more meaningful, at a livelier pace and combining activities which gets more work into the school day. I’m using the time with students more effectively and we are all happier at the end of the day as a result. Learning has certainly not suffered but rather grown instead. I couldn't be more thrilled!




1 comment:

  1. Hi Olivia,
    I appreciated your reflection on Routman's chapter urging us to make the most of the time we have. Like you, I found her questions helpful in evaluating the time I spend each day and determining what is most effective for students. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete