Monday, January 18, 2016

Amy Hansen Blog Post 6--Routman Chapter 5: Organize an Outstanding Classroom Library

I decided to read Routman's Chapter 5: Organize an Outstanding Classroom Library because I know my classroom library organized as it probably should. Reading this chapter, I agree with everything that Routman says we should do, but I guess my problem still comes down to time, money, and space.

I have some baskets in my current library where students can go and browse books, but my books are not organized in any certain way. The books look neat and tidy in the baskets, but I know my students probably can't find what they might be searching for. I need to do a better job of categorizing my books, and I realize as I say I need to do it, but Routman suggests involving our students to help and honestly that scares me a little especially with my kindergarten students. It could possibly help with the time issue though. I also really love the idea of rain gutters--again this would probably be a space issue, but I love this idea especially for my my kindergarten students. It would make books easily accessible instead of having to search through many different baskets. We do have one small forward facing bookshelf to showcase books, but I think it would be great to have more room to showcase books.

Routman also suggests that our reading nook should be visible when you enter the classroom. Due to limited space and huge cubbies, my reading nook (I really call it reading center) are hidden behind the cubbies. I do have 2 lounge chairs I found at Target one year on clearance from their summer items and I created my own palm tree for students to sit under. There's also a small alphabet rug and some stuffed animals that can be a reading buddy. Other than that though, my students mostly end up reading at their seats which I know probably isn't the most comfortable for them because I only have a small space that does not accommodate everyone.

I will say that I am grateful though for the quality of books I do have. I can say without a doubt that with the help of our district, I have many different types of books for my students that have been provided over the last few years. As Routman says there is no excuse for not having enough quality books for our students. I do wish there were a few more on my students level to read though which may be something I also need to consider writing a grant for along with adding some pillows and more comfortable seating. I think with a little more work and effort I could eventually get my classroom library where all students can find books they're interested in and have a comfortable place to relax and just read.


2 comments:

  1. Amy, it sounds like you are on the right track with your reading area. It's hard to amass materials and have the decked out reading nook mentioned in the text. Especially if those materials are coming from your own pocket. Engaging your students in helping to organize the library would be an interesting venture. I've done it with older kids but I'm fully aware (this year especially) that asking the same of younger students is scary. It might be fun to try with a smaller scale. Maybe have some of your book baskets out and engage them in a discussion about how they would like to organize their library. Giving them ownership might make the reading center a more inviting place for them. If that goes well, you could continue with more of your books. (If you need book baskets, I've got some extra!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Amy,
    I am glad that Routman's strategies and suggestions in this chapter for creating and organizing an effective classroom library were helpful to you.

    ReplyDelete