Tuesday, January 12, 2016

Marie Duncan: Blog Post # 8 for January 2016/Miller Chapter Reading (pages 16-39)

The point I hear the loudest from this chapter (pages 16-39) in Miller's No More Independent Reading Without Support is that the classroom needs more time to read.  It is amazing to hear how little time during a school day is actually spent reading.  Some statistics say about 10% is actually spent with independent reading, our goal should be 50%.  Additionally, Miller shares students need to choose what they read.  This substantiated information leads a stronger need for me to continue to build student stamina toward independent reading.  As of now (since instructional needs keep changing), I am aiming for the last 45 minutes of the day for IR with small group instruction.  With some degree of anxiety, I believe I am ready for literature groups.  Getting together five good novels for students to choose from is my next step. However, I have to read them myself to stay in the game....more time. This involves strategically increasing my classroom library which has a lot to be desired as far as organization (another goal).  Miller stresses students need to talk about what they read.  Here I have struggled to keep two of my five team groups focused.  They play, fidget, ask to go to the bathroom, etc.  I have trained the other three groups to focus, but no matter where I place these eight students - they are unable to focus and can be disruptive. They do not stay on topic when the other groups do a beautiful job.   Reviewing the focus levels in "Acting Right" has helped temporarily.  I am taking to heart what Miller has to share about independent reading.  I have moving forward inch by inch (really centimeter by centimeter) to develop stronger readers.  The scores are showing this; I learn as my students learn and grow.  Miller is practical and insightful.  I am appreciative of her specific, practical suggestions even though we all begrudgingly crave for more time to do it all.  Read on!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Marie,
    While Routman's text was my favorite, Miller's No More Independent Reading Without Support was a close second because of the helpful strategies and structures she suggests for helping make independent reading more effective through adding intentional instruction and formative assessment.

    ReplyDelete