Tuesday, January 12, 2016

Mollie Kuhn - Blog Post 6: Chapter 5: Organize an Outstanding Classroom Library

Organizing a classroom library has been one of the things  I have really enjoyed doing over the course of the last few years. When I moved into my room at FFES I was starting a new Kindergarten classroom, so I really had to start from scratch. I had no furniture, very few manipulatives, and few books. Over the course of that first year, I got what I needed to be able to teach, but I didn't have a lot of books for the children to be able to read except what I brought from my own collection. My grade level teammates were awesome at helping me find the materials and books I needed to be able to teach effectively. We shared many books and materials, but over the last few years our district has been wonderful at providing the books we need in our classrooms so our students have their hands on numerous books throughout the day. I have seen a big change in my own classroom as my reading center collection began to grow, then my classroom library grew and I was able to organize it by theme, and beginning last year I was able to provide my students with book baskets from which they read everyday. My book collection for their book baskets was limited, and one of my goals this year was to get more reading materials for those. Our reading coach helped us get more books that we use in their baskets, as well as helping our team make the decision to change our guided reading time to use Reading A-Z instead of ReadWell. This allows our children to read their books during guided reading time and then they have access to these books that they are familiar with in their book baskets. The hope is that during their Read to Self time that they would remember the strategies and skills that were taught and practiced during guided reading so they can transfer that knowledge to their independent reading time with a familiar text. Also this year, we started using Guiding Readers curriculum which uses quality children's literature to teach literacy skills. We were provided with all of the literature to accompany these units which has totally changed the way I was teaching literacy, and I love it!
I feel like Fairforest Elementary has come a long way in just the few short years I have been here in regards to the students having access to all types of literature in the classroom. Research shows that children need to have lots of time engaged in reading and writing to be successful in their literacy development. Our students also get to check out books from the library and have access to literature at home through book clubs and reproducible books that are sent home. Another one of my favorite things to do with my children is an author study and finding out their favorite authors. Right now, we are reading The Snowy Day by Ezra Jack Keats. Last week we read Peter's Chair by Keats and my students have enjoyed making the connections between these books because it is by the same author. I like the suggestions that are in the text for organizing the classroom library and getting the students involved in creating the reading atmosphere. I also like the section about Book Talk and showcasing certain books for children to get excited about reading.

2 comments:

  1. Mollie, I'm so glad to hear that your collection of books and reading materials has led to more reading engagement in your classroom. I also can't tell you how happy it makes me that your grade level questioned the use of Read Well and opted to move toward more authentic reading and formative assessment. It's evident that you are using the information from the text to further your approach to literacy in your classroom. I especially like that you are having your kids read books by the same author and making connections. This is a great way to show them how many adults find new books to read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mollie,
    I am glad that Routman's chapter on creating and organizing an effective classroom library has helped you to not only create a more appealing physical classroom environment, but has also impacted the motivation of your students to want to read!

    ReplyDelete