Tuesday, January 26, 2016

Heather Register-March/April Blog Post-Routman Chapters 6 and 7

Heather Register-March/April
Routman Chapters 6 and 7
“A longstanding, highly respected body of research definitively shows that students who read more, read better, and have higher reading achievement.” This statement followed by the stated need to defend this belief to those calling it into question set the tone for these two chapters. It seems common sense that reading more would equate to better reading. Practicing anything typically leads to improvement. I know implementing a quality independent reading program takes time, effort, and practice. Students have to be explicitly taught how to engage with a book. Teachers have to give some of the control over to students as they choose texts. However, it’s proven to be more effective than prescriptive programs. Harder, but better. I love that our school encourages teachers to use their professional judgment to make instructional decisions. I also appreciate that a lot of our teachers are confronting what they’ve been doing in the classroom to make sure that it’s best for their students.
Routman points out that when time becomes an issue, independent reading is often the first thing to go. I remember vividly the time crunch, trying to get everything in. I know I neglected independent reading at times in favor of finishing other tasks. However, her story about the teacher who spent most of the time teaching lessons and leaving only a few minutes of reading time really hit home. Looking back, I see places where my “mini-lessons” went too long and students didn’t have enough time to read. I know where I could shave time off of my schedule and allow students the time to engage with books of their choice. I would love to help more teachers do this as well.

The assessment chapter that followed was perfect for the season of reading instruction we are currently in. We are telling teachers about all of these new strategies and they are excited to try them. A major issue is that they are struggling to find ways to assess. Informal reading conferences are one of my favorite ways to formatively assess students. Way back when these were mandatory in our school, I feel that our students were achieving more and making greater gains as readers. I felt the pinch when my weekly conferences were due but I know it was beneficial for my students. The framework Routman includes is a great starting point for reading conferences. Not only is it a guide for teachers’ discussion with students but it lends itself well to a rubric that would help keep students accountable. I also noted the rubric on page 113 thanks to Mrs. West at our school. I love the way the rubric is written to provide high expectations in language children can understand. It’s accessible and can be an excellent way to keep them accountable during independent reading. 

1 comment:

  1. Time is at a premium, but you are right--investing the time in independent reading and conferencing is totally worth the outcomes for our readers.

    ReplyDelete