Thursday, January 14, 2016

Lyuda Bentsiy’s Blog Post – Routman’s Chapter 3: Share Your Reading Life

It was interesting to read about Routman and how she introduces herself to students and always talks about herself as a reader. Thinking back to my 4 years of teaching, I don’t remember me talking about myself as a reader to my students. I told them that I love to read and always loved to read as a kid but I never went into any more details then that.

I want to start sharing more about myself as a reader to my kids. I want to show them my comic books (Calvin and Hobbes and Garfield) that I love to read when I have a free minute. I also want to show them Holes and Hatchet that I read in Middle School and that I like to reread at times. I also want to show my students the professional books that I’m reading. I’m hoping to teach students that we don’t just read to learn something but for the fun as well. I want students to be passionate about reading as much as I am.

Another important phrase that stood out for me is on page 37: “We need to show our students that reading means making meaning.” I want to make more effort and model to students how to read and explain the why of my thinking and actions. 

2 comments:

  1. Lyuda, the idea of sharing the books you read for fun and books you read to learn with your students is wonderful. It's important that students see reading as something they do for both of these purposes. I think they'd love to see the comics you like to read. It may validate the choices they make during independent reading. It would be interesting to invite students to share their favorites as well. Giving them a voice to share alongside you will help foster a culture of reading love in your room.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lyuda,
    I am glad that you are making time in your instruction to share your reading life with your students as Routman suggests and to really highlight the different purposes you read different texts for.

    ReplyDelete