Friday, January 22, 2016

Sara Margaret West: Jan/Feb Post-Ch. 6&7

Independent reading takes a lot of time to put into place.  In order for it to work, you have to teach students to self-monitor, self-assess, sit still, and use all their strategies. It is always my goal to have independent reading in place by the second nine weeks.  This does not mean that my students will not have read independently at all, it just means that by the second nine weeks they are sitting wherever they want, silent, and reading for at least 30 minutes while sitting still.  It is during that time, that I am able to walk around the room checking in with students and conferencing with them on what they are reading.  It is through these conferences that I learn about my students as readers-I learn about their interests, their strengths, their weaknesses, and their thinking as readers.  This knowledge allows me to recommend books, understand their book choices, and get them reading things they normally would not read.

I have often struggled with grading reading because it is an ongoing process that is often based on the subjectivity of conferences, observations, and conversations teachers have with the students and students have with each other.  Routman also stated that the most accurate form of assessment is through observation.  I can stand in the middle of my classroom during independent reading and look around at my students and immediately know which students are on task and which ones are not. Chapter seven really kept my attention.  I LOVE the reading rubric found on p. 113, and I cannot wait to use it in my classroom.  This rubric sets high expectations and covers everything that needs to be assessed during reading. 

Throughout the chapter she made several comments about moving the students as readers.  One way she assesses them is through probing their thinking.  I agree with her 110%.  Educators have to teach students to read deeply and think deeply.  In today's society everything is automatic and children don't really have to think.  Teachers need to teach them how to think, how to break apart a text, and how to become problem solvers.

One of the final things that was discussed in the chapter was to have a school policy in place. Fairforest has a great support system when it comes to teaching reading, and we are held accountable. I really think we would see lots of growth if we had a common language for reading.  If we started students with this language in kindergarten, they would be familiar with it by the upper grades and would already know the expectations.


2 comments:

  1. Sara Margaret, your approach to setting up independent reading in your classroom is quite effective. It takes time and energy to teach students how to maintain stamina while reading and how to show they are actually reading. Starting the year off with that in mind helps you integrate independent reading more as they grow. I'm glad you brought my attention to the reading rubric in the chapter. I agree that it is a great tool to hold students accountable as readers. Finally, your point about a common reading language in the school is a great one. I know our younger grades are working to include this language with their students this year. My hope is that as we continue to incorporate these reading practices, students will have consistent exposure and be prepared to engage in deeper reading in the upper grades.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sara Margaret,
    I enjoyed reading your blog post about how you are implementing independent reading in your classroom. Like you, I've found Routman's ideas for monitoring engagement and the checklist and questions she suggested in this chapter to be helpful too!

    ReplyDelete