Sunday, January 10, 2016

Olivia McNorrill - Post #5, Routman, Chapter 3

Chapter 3 - Share Your Reading Life

Young students emulate their teachers. One only has to listen carefully at the lunch table, recess, and/or center time to hear students pretend to be them. After all, children spend a majority of their waking hours in school so it is a natural occurrence. Why not use this natural tendency to expand their reading habits?  The benefits are well worth the extra effort to share and model our personal reading life.

As a lover of literature, I enjoy sharing my passion for reading with students. Reading together is one of the many highlights of my day. To vocally bring a book to life, share the magic of discovering, create a connection among the class, and wet the appetite for more has long been a goal.   My approach to reading a book, questions I ask while reading, how I review a book, and how I select a new book as well as my next are a few strategies of being a reader shared with my students. Now, I am challenged to take it even further after reading how Regie Routman approaches her reading life in the classroom.

One area that I plan to implement into our reading routine is the importance of having personal libraries. While I mainly read now on my Kindle, I still have books that I purchase and collect. B sharing my personal library (both electronic and printed) and why I cherish having each one, will I hope inspire the students to have a new approach to the books collected at home. Teaching students how to begin and maintain a personal library is critical for reading success. "Kindergarten students who do well in school own more than fifty books, at a minimum!" (Routman, p. 27)

I have been part of the same monthly book group for at least ten years now. Over the years, we have read and discussed a variety of genres. We have served food from the book or area the story took place, traveled on a boat while discussing a story that took place on the water, and hosted a few authors when possible to discuss the book with them. Also, we have book swaps, discuss favorite authors, and favorite books so we always have books or ideas for books to read. Bringing a book group and/or book discussion element into the classroom is a great way to enhance a students' reading life and develop comprehension.

In our age of technology, students need to realize that electronic books are just as valuable as printed copies. Keeping a reading record/log/journal can help keep that tangible. I have never kept one but after reading about it, I see the value of maintaining a record of reading accomplishments and as an encouragement for further reading. But, it must be authentic and not time consuming. The goal is to teach procedures and expectations in keeping a meaningful log of books read not to overwhelm students (and parents) with multiple requirements of number of pages read, minutes read, who did the reading, etc. The reading record should be something that a student wants to maintain as a prideful reminder of his/her reading history.

I desire to further enhance and develop the reading lives of my students. Reading gives me so much pleasure, new perspectives,connections to others, thrilling adventures and so much more. I want the same for every one of my students. Through modeling how to establish and maintain a personal library, start book groups/discussions, and maintain reading records, I know my students' reading lives with flourish.

2 comments:

  1. Olivia, I'm so glad you see the importance of sharing your electronic reading life with students. A lot of us as teachers have a hard time sharing our reading life because we might get too busy to read books for fun. However, students need to see that reading anything be it newspaper, ebook, website, etc. counts as reading. Your enthusiasm for sharing your reading life with your students will definitely help them see how you value reading in your personal life. It would be interesting to invite them to share ways they read other than traditional paper books. It's always eye-opening to redefine reading in that way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Olivia,
    I love the way you are applying Routman's idea of a personal library to your kindergarten students. Sharing your digital and hard copy personal library will be a powerful model for your students!

    ReplyDelete