Friday, January 15, 2016

Erin McAbee- Jan./Feb. Blog- Ch. 12: You Only Have So Much Time- Routman

            I think the one phrase I've said dozens of times this year was, "I just don't have enough time to do everything I need to do." I know every teacher feels like that way. I thought it was very strategic of the author to start out the article by encouraging a teacher to live an interesting life. I agree that we are not only role models for learning, but role models for living as well. As a "newer" teacher, it is easy to get swamped with just figuring how to best teach and be effective with your time. Although I'm still trying to figure out how to be the most meaningful and productive with my time inside the classroom and during planning, it was helpful to read that students aren't going to become better readers because I spent hours upon hours fixing, up my centers. It's more about them receiving high quality instruction and provided with lots of time to read and talk about books.
       I've thought before that first graders won't be able to have meaningful conversations about the things they are reading, but I've been blown away by the kinds of things students pick up from the books they are reading. I've noticed that sometimes students will open up more with peers than with the teacher. Students will ask questions to one another that are great for small group discussions especially with science or social studies texts. I've noticed when students are excited about a topic or they find it interesting they are much better at staying on topic when having conversations about what we're talking about instead of something random that pops in their mind. I find myself enjoying small group or one on one reading time with my students because they are enjoying it so enthusiastically. 
          The suggestions by Routman were both convicting and helpful. I like to hear what other teachers are doing in their classroom to keep myself in check and make sure my teaching practices are useful and most effective. I want to start introducing "mystery words"  or a "word of the day" to my students to increase their awareness of important words. I was encouraged to make morning work/time before the bell rings more pleasurable and relaxed. Like most people, we enjoy starting the day relaxed so it's definitely something I want to make sure my students feel when they come into my classroom. I'm guilty of giving daily morning work, but I want to try and incorporate more independent reading time into our morning routine. 
      The main goal as an educator is to ensure that our students love learning. I agree that kids can't be joyful if we're not. It's obvious when I'm stressed out about something because my students pick up on it and act accordingly. I want to make my classroom a pleasurable place and the first place it starts is with myself.

2 comments:

  1. Erin, I wish I had the chance to learn this same lesson early in my own teaching years. I would work all hours trying to perfect my classroom instruction and neglect my home life. As I've gotten older, I've realized that having a life outside of school is vital. Not only does it offer rest for you but it feeds into your approach with your kids. I'm glad you are focusing on how to make yourself more relaxed so your students feed off of that vibe. Independent reading time in the morning is a great way to help them ease into the day. It's also a typically untapped time to allow them to read for pleasure. After you wrap up your morning duties (roll, lunch count, etc.) it'll also be a great time to continue those conversations with your students.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Erin,
    I agree with you that the questions Routman posed are convicting and welcome because they served to help us critically reflect on what is working and what isn't and what we can do to make sure our time is spent as meaningfully as possible.

    ReplyDelete