Sunday, November 8, 2015

Amy Hansen Blog Post 4: Miller Section 2 Why Not? What Works? Why Independent Reading Matters and the Best Practices to Support It

Every day during our math block in my classroom, we count how many days we have been in school using tens and ones. I then have my students practice counting by 1's every day to that number because I always emphasize to my students that by the end of the kindergarten they will need to be able to count aloud to 100. Students have goals to meet each 9 weeks--1st 9 weeks counting to 25, 2nd 9 weeks counting to 50, 3rd 9 weeks to 75, and hopefully by the end of the 4th 9 weeks to 100. It's always amazing to see how far they count especially when they count to 100 before we even reach the 100th day of school which is usually January. We start practicing this from the very first day and most days it starts to get boring for some students, but I always tell them, the more they practice counting the better they will be and will be able to count to 100.

It seems odd that I would start my blog post about my math block, but through this article from the get go it mentions that the more that students apply what they know about reading and put it into practice through independent reading, the more they will grow and become better readers. The article provided lots of research and reasons why we need to put independent reading into our daily schedules especially the study that shows students had higher test scores in classrooms that provided more independent reading. Just like I make my students practice counting to 100 every day to reach their goal, I need to continue to provide that same time and practice for them to read every day in the classroom. I will say it is difficult, but I am trying more and more to provide this time for my students.

Many of the things suggested during independent reading time for teachers to help students find just right books, providing choice, conferencing and scaffolding are all things we have been learning through this class and the previous articles we have read. I will say that I am still struggling with finding the time for students to make choices. However, I have been better about switching their book baskets to provide different texts and genres for students. The first time students noticed many of them questioned why someone else had their book that was originally in their basket and so it led to a discussion of the importance of looking/reading different books. I do plan to try to find a better way though to at least allow them some choice some books as well to add to their baskets.

My plan and goal over Christmas break when I have a little more down time is to finally try to get around to reading my Daily 5 book. Because I was unable to continue in the class last year, it has been a goal of mine to try to read and finish the book so I can start implementing it in my classroom. I know many of the other kindergarten teachers at our school use Daily 5 and I have seen in it action. I think it would help me with my struggles to provide the independent reading time as well as incorporate the listening to someone read time as well into our daily schedule. I know it also helps to provide that time for students to choose books to read, too. All of these are especially important in our kindergarten classrooms because we are providing that foundation of reading that will carry on with our students as grow through their school careers.

3 comments:

  1. Amy,
    I love that you started with Math and the importance of practice in that subject as well. Time is a factor for me as well and finding the time to get with each of the students in all subject areas. I had the same sort of discussion about book baskets with a child who took her old book basket not realizing that I had switched her's out with new books. Funny! They too go to the familiar. I too also would love to take the Daily 5 course if I had the time. I can say that the one thing I have noticed this year that has changed in my first grade class; not sure if it is the students or what the some kindergarten teachers practiced from the Daily 5 course work. I have seen more independent stamina come into my class from day one. I have not had so many students jumping up announcing they are finished as in the past. If this was what was taught last year; then kudos to The Daily Five. It has been beginning in my first grade class with more independent time so I can try to get to more students to conference without controlling interruptive behaviors during work time. Let's take the class together when allowed a choice of classes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amy, your reflective approach to teaching is definitely a positive! I'm glad that you equate the need to practice counting to the need to practice reading. Time is a struggle for all of us. No matter what we teach, we are always in need of time. Your steps to allowing choice in what time you do have are great. Opening that discussion with students about the need to read different books in different genres will help them seek out a variety when they get the chance to choose books. I'm also glad to hear that you're getting into the Daily 5 book. (Although with a toddler, I'm not sure what down time you're speaking of.. :) ) I've loved what I've seen with Daily 5 in kindergarten this year. I wish I had known more about it to adapt it to my classes in the past.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Amy,
    I appreciate the sincere way you approach each blog post and how your reflections show what you are learning. I am glad that you considered math comprehension and how you are see how your students need support in math reading as well as in their independent reading block. Reading is a tool for learning all other content areas. When we see it that way, we can't help but integrate it. I am excited that you want to go back and re-read the Daily Five text. In the new edition there is also a section on the Math Daily 3 that may be helpful as well. Thanks, Dawn

    ReplyDelete