Saturday, November 28, 2015

Blog Post 4: Karmen Wade - Blog post 4 November: Chapter 8: Teach Comprehension Three Teaching Essentials:



 Karmen Wade - Blog post 4 November: Chapter 8: Teach Comprehension

Three Teaching Essentials:
Teach comprehension right from the start! The very first sentence of this chapter speaks volumes. It is printed in English and there is no confusion on what the overall most important goal in reading is which comprehension is. I could not agree more with the first paragraph when it states “we have to begin with comprehension.” The current emphasis on word calling, automaticaticy, and fluency in the early grades is often at the expense of understanding.” I know that I have experienced this in my own second grade classroom before. I think that at some point at least all teachers have lost track in a reading lesson that was designed to focus on comprehension, but seemed to be interrupted somehow by focusing on words.  As a new teacher it can be difficult sometimes to take a step back and realize that in order for my students to understand the meaning of a text than I need to allow the students to do most of the reading. The overall goal is for students to understand what they read and not only to understand it but to be able to apply it, compare it, analyze it, and carry it on to other situations in life.  Students are not capable of doing this if they are always told by someone exactly what or how to do something. It can often times be very difficult for some teachers to realize that the students need to take control of their reading comprehension. It can be very difficult as a new teacher and a person who loves to read, to sit and listen to a child read so fluently, with expression, and ease, but then not be able to really explain or dissect what they just read. It leaves the teacher with the question….”What am I not doing for them in reading?” Maybe instead of focusing on what the teacher is not doing, more teachers should focus more on the idea of “What can I show my students that they can do on their own that will help them?”  Teachers have to keep in mind that just because students can read the words doesn’t always mean that they automatically comprehend what they read.  With that stand point, I really like how this chapter provided ways to help students become stronger readers and critical thinkers. This chapter provided ways and excellent explanations for teachers on how to work with students to help them become deeper, richer readers. For example, teachers should start with texts that students are interested in reading. If students enjoy it, then they will want to read and write more on the text. The strategies for deepen student understanding will not work it is not something meaningful that a child or person is interested in. It all goes back to the idea of a job worthwhile. Instead of telling students what they have to read, I should select a variety of different texts and genres that I know have purpose and that will peak my students interest. Next step: Demonstrate! That is a teacher’s job. To show someone how to do something properly and then to allow them to do it. Not to do it for them. I know it sounds very strange that we have to teach children how to think, but it is true! If I want my students to be able to achieve full understanding when they read then as their teacher I have to show my students how to think. As people we all think differently. As I read this part of the chapter my brain immediately went to Math. In math there is not just one and only one way to solve a problem. There are many different ways to solve a problem and we take time to show our students the different strategies in math. It is the same idea in reading. Good readers use tons of different strategies when they are reading. During reading instruction, teachers should take time to teach different reading strategies. Some of the strategies include, asking questions, making inferences, synthesizing, and making connections.   
As I carry these strategies over into my classroom, I need to make sure that the students know that a good reader uses all of these strategies at the same time to help deepen the reader’s comprehension. The most important factor of all is time to read. What good are these strategies if students never have time to read and use them? I need to give my students more independent reading time. I also can use their independent reading time as a way to determine if my reading strategies are useful to my different readers. As this year continues my goal is to focus more of strategy instruction in reading, expand independent student reading time, and to focus on teaching my students to not only know how to read, but(hopefully) to know what and why they are reading!

2 comments:

  1. Karmen, you've stated some excellent goals for yourself as a teacher and your students as readers. You're completely right that students need to be taught how to think. Like you said, it's hard for competent readers to slow down the process and realize that students area struggling with making meaning. The earlier we teach them to think, the more adept they will become as readers and learners. I love your point about allowing more choice. It's true, if students are interested in a text, they will work harder to apply the comprehension strategies you're teaching. Incorporating more independent reading time into your day is a great step at allowing students to practice what you're teaching and to make their new learning more permanent.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Karmen,
    I always appreciate your sincere, reflective practice that shines in your blog posts. I agree with you and Routman that we need to ensure that we do not minimize the importance of our students understanding and enjoying what they are reading when we are teaching reading. Many times we can be so focused on word calling/decoding and fluency that we neglect comprehension and what is reading if it isn't meaning? I am glad that this chapter validated your beliefs about reading and also provided you with some relevant strategies to try out in your practice. Sincerely, Dawn

    ReplyDelete