Wednesday, November 25, 2015

Helen Reed - Blog Post 4 - Routman Ch. 8: Teach Comprehension

Routman starts the chapter by stating that if we want our students to comprehend, then we must begin with it. Having comprehended a text is the purpose of reading; if you did not understand, what is the purpose? Through observing my students I have noticed that many of my 4th graders are confident, fluent readers. They look and sound the part, some are flawless. But through conferencing with my students, I have learned what’s going on inside them and many have no idea what they are reading.   

From the beginning, I have focused on teaching the comprehension strategies Routman lists on page 118.  I have modeled the strategies, made anchor charts, have had the students practice with partners, and have had them practice independently with their own reading materials. I feel that many of my students could name most of the strategies they use while reading, but I fear that I haven’t done enough to help my students make the connection that all of these strategies are to help with their comprehension of the text.  When they do not understand what they are reading many just keep going.  Rereading is something Routman really focused on in this chapter and I know that I need to model rereading more to my class.  Being a proficient reader, I usually understand what I’m reading, especially if it’s a children’s picture book I’m reading aloud. While I may understand, I am going to work on selecting parts which may be difficult for the students, whether the language or vocabulary is more difficult or the theme in the book, to model rereading with. I liked her idea to read aloud a short, yet challenging non-fiction text and then retell it to the class. Then, reread it and retell it again and see how I’ve increased my understanding.  By modeling rereading, I can make my students aware that good readers reread in order to clarify understanding or to get more from a text.  While I, and I will guess, others, dislike rereading, our understanding is heightened by the second read, which we must remember is the key to reading. 

Self-monitoring is another strategy which I need to work on more with my students. But her three questions on page 125, I think, are simply enough to remember and apply to any kind of text: “Does this make sense? Does this sound like language? Do I know what is happening in the text?”  If I and my students ask these questions while reading, we can all help one another gain more understanding. 


As we begin Book Clubs in the coming weeks, I hope to emphasize to my students that while they each have their book club job which they are responsible to lead a discussion with, that they can and should take on the role of the other book club jobs too. If they are the Connector, but really enjoyed a particular passage in the book, then during discussion, they should share and discuss that passage with their group.  I want students to see that they are applying all of these comprehension strategies (Connector, Visualizer, Questioner, Passage Picker, Word Wizard) to their reading, but they can also use all of these strategies to help them understand what they are reading.  Through continued conferencing and listening in on the students’ book club discussions, I hope to see my students truly comprehending their books and not simply reading the words. 

2 comments:

  1. Helen, you pinpointed an issue a lot of the upper grades are struggling with: comprehension. We see that students are beautiful word callers but when asked to explain what they've just read, we are faced with blank stares and shoulder shrugs. Your reflection on your teaching of reading strategies is very thorough. I, too, struggled when I thought about how many times I've taught a reading strategy in isolation and haven't connected it to the primary goal of making meaning of text. Modeling the use of multiple strategies at once could remedy that situation. Having students see the actions a skilled reader takes to comprehend is more meaningful then being able to make obscure connections.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Helen,
    I appreciate the ways that you are utilizing the major strategies Routman suggests in this chapter - re-reading and self-monitoring in your instruction and in your book clubs. If we believe reading is meaning and our students look like they are reading and sound like they are reading but are not understanding what they are reading then we have a problem. I also appreciated the metacognitive modeling strategy that Routman shared in this chapter for us as teachers to utilize. Thinking aloud and showing students how we are applying the proficient reading strategies when we are reading a text during shared reading provides students with a model for how to do it, not just an explanation with a try it out for yourself assignment. Thank you! Dawn

    ReplyDelete