Sunday, November 29, 2015

Blog Post 4: November: Tiffany Thompson: Section 2: Why not? What Works? (Miller/Moss)



   While I very much understand the importance of independent reading, I am still struggling with the most beneficial way to set the stage for my kindergarteners to learn and grow into successful, independent readers. 
  My class is made of students at very diverse stages of reading.  I have some that still cannot identify letters, some that are working on letter sounds, a few that are working hard to learn sight words, and a couple of students that are reading.  To address this, I have my students in differentiate learning groups during ELA workshop time.  My question is:  “Am I pushing the ones that cannot read too hard?”  I think I have created a balanced literacy program but during the course of this class, have been questioning my teaching practices.
   I like the ideology of the ScSr as opposed to the traditional SSR.  I have reconfirmed the notion that my classroom library truly needs some help.  I need to reorganize the books I have in a way that is more productive, efficient, and effective.  I may even need to work on a few grants to provide books and magazines from the ten genres.
  For five and six year olds, what is the magic number of minutes I should devote to independent reading?  Currently, each student has a book basket containing ten to fifteen books.  The books are easy readers, concepts books, predictable books, and a few leveled books.  Students are given opportunities throughout the day to get his/her book basket.  I switch the book baskets regularly so students are introduced to new books.  There are also books in the classroom library and themed books in many of the centers of the classroom (such as the math, home living, and science center).
  I agree with the information provided in Figure 2-4.  I exhibit many of the practices mentioned but I know I need to do better with postreading responses.  This is the challenge I have placed upon myself.  I hope to do more running records and miscue analysis as students begin to read independently.
  I plan to continue this journey of discovering the best practices to help my students bloom into happy, well-rounded, thoughtful, and empowered readers!

1 comment:

  1. Tiffany, with vastly different levels represented in your classroom it is difficult to make sure you're meeting the needs of all of your learners. Your first goal is to help all of your students build stamina for independent reading. This is a building process so there is no one magic number. Your focus on revamping your library is a great start too. Providing books in multiple genres on multiple levels will help your students find something they are interested in. I love that you have themed books in your centers. This is a great way to incorporate reading into that discovery/play time.

    ReplyDelete