Thursday, November 12, 2015

Bog 4 Lynn Brady: Miller Section 3


Blog 4 Lynn Brady: Section 3, No More Independent Reading Without Support

When I began reading this section of the book, I found myself thinking this is not what I have been doing all these years. Quiet reading and taking a test was what our reading block was all about. I found the following statement from the book interesting; The direct link between strong instruction and follow-up in independent work is a key component of IR. As I continued to read I discovered that Independent reading time is also a time of writing and sharing. Not necessarily just quite reading only. Finding the time for having our IR might not be as difficult as some of the examples given. I think our school has set a good standard when it comes to reading. Our announcements are pretty streamlined. However, I do like the idea of playing the music for our transition time. That is one area that I probably do loose too much time in trying to get my students to move from one subject to the next. However, I bet I could save some time if I played the music. I found it interesting that the author stated that you should eliminate the reading block of time. However, I am like the teachers in the book that she talked about and would like to keep the reading block. I also liked the idea of again playing soft music first thing in the morning while they read. The author wrote about keeping “It Authentic: Do readers do this in the world.” I have used that concept in math before but I have never thought about it in reading.  After reading the section in the book on the tactics, I really liked the way the author used their reading log to discover something about their reading. That is something I might be able to try easily and quickly. I found this book to be very interesting but not exactly what I do in the classroom. I could see me making some changes and giving it a try.

1 comment:

  1. Lynn, I'm so glad you were able to get a lot from this section of the book. I found it very helpful as well. Your focus on the point that independent reading shouldn't simply be quiet reading but should include conversation and writing is spot on. It's hard to let go of the idea that reading should be a quiet, solitary activity. When we held conferences with your kids and they were excited about talking about their books, it was hard to reprimand them and tell them to be quiet. Modeling whisper conversations and allowing students to share their reading after the reading time are excellent practices that will help them share their excitement. I also like the idea of using a reading log as a means of learning about what kids are reading. This could be something you devise with your students to make it a meaningful way to record their thinking.

    ReplyDelete