Sunday, November 29, 2015

Marie Duncan Blog #6 Conferencing with My Focus Group: Observations

I will forever be the student (and not just the teacher) in my classroom.  I have been taking random notes during reading conferences with my students for years, but our professional readings have encouraged me to dig a little deeper.  Whoever left your reading conference template at the copier, I thank you.  It may have been you, Dr. Turnage.  After experimenting with various forms, I liked the half-page template that focused on about eight questions.  These questions are simple.  "What are you reading?"  "Why did you pick this book?"  "What is it about?"  My favorite questions are the toughest for my students.  "What are your strengths as a reader?"  Also, "What are your goals?"  Few students are able to answer these last two questions but their peers don't have a problem coming up with answers about others!  I have been amazed to see how quickly fellow classmates, in small groups of three, can easily praise others after they read.  To see the look on a third grader's face after receiving positive comments from a peer....I can see the message being absorbed into their brain....oh, what joy!  With my focus group, encouragement and suggestions from their wonderful, caring teacher just seems to bounce off their precious heads.

So, I have once again become amazed at what I learn from my students.  What your young peers think of you seems to matter much more than an adult....mom, grandparents, or teacher.  Why not use this to our advantage as an instructor of children?  Here is a positive way to let peers influence peers....to become stronger, more confident readers who are growing and learning.  Friends teaching friends....relationships in my classroom are growing along with reading skills.  How cool!  

2 comments:

  1. Marie, I love that you're having your students read together in small groups. Your observations about how students respond to each other when they're reading are amazing. When a child receives a compliment from a peer about their reading it seems that they really internalize that positive message. I'm also glad to hear that you've found a way to record your conference conversations. It's such a great formative assessment tool. This will help you drive your future instruction.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Marie,
    I appreciate the ways you are utilizing conferencing in your classroom and how you are providing students with the opportunity to conference with you, but also with their peers. This is valuable. Conferencing has been one of my most effective tools because it provides me with valuable feedback to help me guide my instruction and it provides the students with invaluable individual time with me. Thank you, Dawn

    ReplyDelete