Monday, November 2, 2015

Blog Post #3 Miller Section 1

In my classroom, I feel like I'm always out of time or always asking for more minutes in the day to get to everything that I need to get done.  As silly as this sounds, a light bulb went off in my head while reading section one "Is There Enough Time?"

I am so guilty of waiting for everyone to get quiet, or counting to five, or even lining up in different ways than just number order.  As soon as I read these things I thought "oh my!" There is time that I could use.

I also felt a tinge of guilt when I read the SSR or DEAR section in the text.  I grew up in school having this time at the end of the day.  We sat and read quietly at our desks until the bell rang.  I loved to read, so I always enjoyed this time.  I was always the student who would read the entire time during DEAR.  Perhaps this is why I tend to do this in my classroom.  I thought I made it more enjoyable to allow my students to sit where they would like to read silently.  I made sure that no one was side by side so that I could make sure everyone was reading.  The sentence, "we might see them flip a page every minute or so, but we can't see what's happening inside their heads.'' caught my attention.  I need to do better at making sure my students are reading or getting good use of this independent reading time.  I have been trying reading conferences in my classroom. I am not sure how exactly to go about this, or how a reading conference is supposed to look.  This is my next step in creating better readers within my students!

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad that you're reading this chapter with such a reflective viewpoint. It takes time to whittle down those transition times so that you can get more instructional time in your day. In terms of reading time, I was one of those kids who loved the SSR time as well. As teachers, we can see those students who are adept fake readers and it's important that we take steps to help them engage with text. I'm happy that you're trying out conferencing in your classroom. I would LOVE to come in and model conferencing for you. It's a great way to get to know your kids and to get a better idea of what they're doing as readers. It is so worth the time. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ashleigh,
    I appreciate the ways you are using Miller's suggestions to improve the quality of your independent reading time so students are provided with more than just time and books but also with support and monitoring and feedback. Thanks, Dawn

    ReplyDelete