Monday, November 23, 2015

Ashley Blackwelder November Blog Post: Routman Ch. 6 & 7 (Plan and Monitor/Assessment and Instruction)

EVERYTHING in Routman's Chapter 6--"Plan for and Monitor Independent Reading"--made so much sense to me, and yet, I am the first to admit that I did a poor job with independent reading in my own classroom. I really identified with the teacher friend who "wailed" over the phone to Routman at the beginning of the chapter. I have a Masters in literacy. I had a great deal of success in helping my lowest readers grow by leaps and bounds over the past few years. However, I could have done so much more in terms of developing their confidence and love of reading, if I had emphasized independent reading time in the way Routman suggests. Did I give my students time to read books of their choice? Of course. But did I do so consistently? Did I monitor their independent reading as carefully as I did their "required" reading? Did I even trust them to really read when given the choice? Too often, my answer to these questions would have to be no.
This year has been one of change, and while our fearless reading coach has encouraged teachers to give up a certain amount of control over their students' reading, I have been making the same push in science and technology. It's hard, and it's scary...and it goes against a lot of our habits and instincts as teachers. But Routman's approach to independent reading time is do-able, and is presented in such a way that convinces me that we have to be willing to let go and let our kids take responsibility for their own reading. It really makes me wish I had my own group of students again, so that I could put this into practice myself.
I also agree with Routman's approach to assessment in Chapter 7--"Make Assessment Instruction's Working Partner."  She describes her assessment and evaluation as being "naturally interwoven" in her book as well as her teaching.  This is what we all do each day as teachers: assess what our students need and adjust our teaching to try and meet those needs. While we all know that we are expected to send home grades and show improvement on standardized tests, but these are only a small part of the assessment that should take place in our classrooms. Routman's descriptions and examples of conferences and rubrics are designed to do what assessments should actually do: give us some insight into our students' strengths and needs. I think it's often hard for us as teachers, when we feel the pressure of limited time and state tests constantly looming overhead, to remember that we are not "done" once we finally get that assignment turned in and graded. That assessment should be used to plan our next steps for that particular student, to make sure we really understand and are prepared to meet his/her needs. Each year, we get a completely different set of students, with completely different strengths, needs, and interests. Each year...and each day...and each lesson, we need to truly get to know these students and figure out how to help them grow as much as possible. The constant cycle of assessment, evaluation, and adjustment can be difficult and exhausting, but it's necessary if we are going to provide the best we can for our students.

3 comments:

  1. Ashley, you're exactly right, assessment and the use of that information should be an ongoing process. It's too easy to put assessment data to the side and think we're finished since it's collected. Instead, we need to use it to determine the strengths of our students as well as areas for growth. The SLO's were put into place with this purpose.
    As far as giving up teacher control, I hear you. It's scary to think that students are driving instruction. What's important to remember is that when they do take that ownership, their learning is often more permanent. In turn, their performance on those state mandated tests should show that growth. With our focus on student centered learning in all areas (reading, science, technology), it's important that we provide students with materials, present the information necessary, and allow them to explore that new information in more engaging settings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ashley, I am right there with you on giving up control. For most of my teaching career, I have had to have that control over everything that happened in the classroom (as if that's even possible), and the thought of giving that up scared the daylights out of me. What if someone comes in, and every child isn't doing just the right thing? Will they make the right choices? Will they stay on task? Even after a year and a half of teaching the Daily Five way, I still get nervous and have to keep a close eye on those special friends that want to take advantage. However, it has ironically given me a feeling of more freedom because there is so much more that I am able to accomplish with my students. I feel like I know them so much better because they are given more choice, It allows me to assess them with stories that they are interested in. They are generally more engaged and more open to working on understanding because it doesn't feel as much like work to them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ashley,
    I appreciate your reflective practice and your sincere desire to do what is best for your students. You are right, change isn't always easy but I believe that when we are exposed to knew ideas and to research based strategies with practical and relevant application such as Routman provides in this chapter, it naturally motivates us to want to try them out. For me when I know better, I want to do better. This cycle of reflective practice leads to continual growth for as a professionals and that helps us promote our students' growth as readers, as writers, as scientists, etc. Thank you for all you do for our students and teachers. Sincerely, Dawn

    ReplyDelete