Monday, November 16, 2015


As I read this chapter, I realized that I don’t talk to my students about the fact that I really love to read.  I am constantly looking for books to read and I particularly love to read series.   My friends and I share books that we have enjoyed and I love to see recommendations on social media for books.  I love to hold a book in my hands and read but have recently given the Kindle app on my IPad a try. 

 When reading this chapter, I decided that I need to share more books in my classroom.  I could check out books from the school library and have book talks about them.  I could spend a few minutes at the beginning of the class to share books that I enjoyed from our very own library.  This way the books that I am talking about would be readily available to my students.  I feel like this is an easy way to introduce students to new books.  I could develop a book list that the students could use on their library days.  Students could also share books that they are enjoying.  I think my students would enjoy the fact that I am reading books that they can also read. 
I found the section about a personal library interesting.  I am curious to know how many of my students actually have books of their own at home.  To help with this, I allow students to borrow my books.  I know that most of them do not have the opportunity to check out books at the public library so I try to help with this as much as I can. 

I enjoyed this chapter because it provided me with ideas on how to share reading with my students.  I want my students to love reading as much as I do.  Hopefully, I am able to encourage them to read by seeing how much it means to me.  

1 comment:

  1. Tina, I LOVE the idea of sharing books with your students at the beginning of their time with you and helping them devise a list they can use when it's time for them to go to the library with their class. Having this tool can help them remember what they'd like to read and direct them to books they will more likely read. Incorporating other texts aside from the book you use for instruction will be a great way to expose them to the different kinds of texts available to them. You can use articles, websites, comics, or any other genre to help them see the wide variety they can read. A great site for articles on multiple levels is Newsela. It lets you choose the level which will help you provide reading material to meet the needs of your group.

    ReplyDelete