Sunday, November 1, 2015

M. Holland - Blog Post #3: Routman (2003), Ch. 3: Share Your Reading Life

When I first saw this chapter title, my first reaction was to say, “Do I really want to tell my students what I am currently reading?”  I am, like all of my colleagues, currently reading 2 professional books about reading.  I am also reading a book about the exploits of a current presidential candidate that would probably receive a strong response from most people.  I’m also reading my Bible every day, and there’s a children’s novel that I currently have downloaded on my Kindle app that I plan to read when I have some more free time.  (Not sure when that will be!) 
            Once I began reading the chapter, I began to understand that my students need to see me as someone that reads daily, and while I may not share everything I am reading with them, they do need to know that I am an avid reader.  My students do know that my favorite book series is Harry Potter because I shared that with them on the first day of school, and there are items related to Harry Potter displayed in my classroom.  Those students that like to visit my desk each morning to borrow a pencil or an eraser will most likely have seen the book of devotions or a copy of the Bible that I keep on my desk. 
            I really liked the suggestion of asking the students what they are currently reading, what they plan to read next, and what their last favorite book was.  I think that I will create a Padlet for students to record those responses next week. 

            In the “Try It – Apply It” on page 31, there is one suggestion that I would really like to try.  With next week being a shortened week due to Election Day and testing, I think we will try it.  It suggests having a bulletin board where children write a recommendation for a book that they love.  We are beginning use of www.bookopolis.com, and I think that would be a great venue to use.  I can’t wait to get started!

2 comments:

  1. I love Bookopolis! I'm glad Lowe showed it to me. It's a great way to get kids involved with more books and reading with a purpose. The idea this chapter posed of sharing your personal reading life was one that had a lot of us asking questions. It is important for students to see their teachers as readers. Some of us (myself included) aren't currently reading novels. We do, however, read blogs, devotionals, news articles, websites, and other texts daily. This is equally important to share with students. We use reading all day and they need to see that reading doesn't mean only a library book but can encompass many genres.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Melanie,
    I appreciate the many ways you are opening up your reading life with your students. You are right that we can share a variety of texts and purposes with our students beyond just fictional novels. I love Bookopolis too! Mark Lowe shared it with me and I have been passing it along. Thanks! Dawn

    ReplyDelete