Wednesday, November 25, 2015

Lyuda Bentsiy's November Blog Post on conferencing with my focus group



Our phonics, reading, and spelling words for the week were words with ch. So I had my focus group of 6 students read the story Champs. I copied the story so I could make notes on the pages as students read. Each student read a page and I put check marks for the words that they read correctly. If they read the word incorrectly, I wrote what word they said on top of the word. If they self-corrected their reading I put sc on top of the word.

Looking at the information, I can tell that 4 of my students are doing well; they made 3 or less mistakes on their page. The other 2 students are still struggling with reading. For 1 of those students, I have already started the SAT process. I am working with the other student’s parents on changing the student’s ADHD medicine. I can tell that I will have to provide extra one-on-one help to the 2 students that are struggling. I noticed that these 2 students are still confusing their vowel sounds so I will review the vowel sounds with them regularly. I also noticed that I need to work with these 2 students on suffixes.

3 comments:

  1. Lyuda, your conferences seem to have given you a lot of insight into how your students are decoding. Your method of using a book as an informal running record is a great way to gather formative assessment into your students' progress. When you were conferencing, were you able to assess for comprehension? It's true that decoding is important for beginning readers, however, it's also a great lens into how a student is performing when you're able to assess their comprehension of a text.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They did! :)

    Yes. I asked students questions and assessed them informally to see if they were comprehending what they were reading.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Lyuda,
    Thank you for sharing your conferencing process with us and for using this data to guide your instruction! I appreciate the ways you are utilizing your authentic texts for your running records. Consider ways to assess for comprehension as well so that you know your students are understanding what they are reading. Sincerely, Dawn

    ReplyDelete