Monday, November 9, 2015

Ashleigh Dozier - November Blog - Miller - Share Your Reading Life

     I have never thought to share my reading life with my students.  The first thought I had after reading that title was, I'm not reading anything right now! I don't have time! Then it popped into my head, "you're reading now!"  I still would never think to share with my students about my professional reading.  During the summertime, it's a different story.  I absolutely love to read! I could read all day! It typically takes me about 4 days to a week to finish a book in the summer! Nerd alert! I know! Again, I'm not quite sure I would walk in and explain to my students about the murder mystery I am reading.

    As I read through the chapter, however, I did learn some things that I could talk to my students about.  I could explain to my students how I pick the books that I am reading, or will read next.  Most of the books that I have read were recommended to me by a friend or my mother.  My mom and i are constantly sharing books on the kindle.  My colleagues, friends and I constantly pass book titles or a quick synopsis of  a book around to each other.  When I hear or see something interesting I jump right to it!  I normally try to read books by the same author.  If I love a book by one author, I will do my best to read most of their books.  They usually hold the same interest level.

  When reading this chapter, I realized those are two wonderful things that I would love to start in my classroom!  I really enjoy the idea of a book club, or a book talk, within the classroom.  Even a folder or a poster where students can write a quick review and recommendation about a book they have read.  This would be a simple way to introduce students to new books.  I like the idea of book baskets that maybe contain the same author.  I think this would help students to see the author writes more than one book! :)   I think my students would really enjoy a blog of their own to type out a review or advertise a new book for a peer.  This may be something that begins in my classroom as early as tomorrow! :)

I really enjoyed reading this chapter because it introduced me to new ways to share reading with in my classroom.  I am working really hard on getting my students to love reading.  I think these ideas will help me and will give my students a chance to feel involved as well, in helping their teacher and peers choose new books!


2 comments:

  1. I love your enthusiasm with introducing new ways to review books in your classroom. You're like many of us who have read this chapter and realized our own reading habits have taken a back seat to life's responsibilities. I think the idea of telling kids how you choose a book and letting them see that you rely heavily on similar authors and word of mouth would be a wonderful way to set up the type of system in your room where kids recommend books to one another. Your idea of a blog is a great idea. Mr. Lowe uses a site called Bookopolis that is very kid friendly and allows them to review books they've read. This would be an excellent site to use for your purposes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ashleigh,
    I appreciate the ways you are working to share your reading life with your students but also the ways you are providing your students with opportunities to share and discuss books they are enjoying. You mentioned in your post how you are utilizing book clubs with your students. This structure promotes student engagement, collaboration, and talk. All great things Routman shared in this chapter! Thanks, Dawn

    ReplyDelete