Tuesday, October 6, 2015

April Hollis "Teach With a Sense of Urgency" Blog Post #3


Reggie Routman does an outstanding job breaking down how to make every minute in the classroom count. This is what he defines as urgency.  When looking at the “Top Five Things We Do to Ensure Students Become Excellent Readers,” I was amazed to see that the majority of items on the list would have been identical to what would be on my list.  Routman makes a valid point that most educators do leave off the assessment/evaluation which is crucial with helping students become excellent readers. We must be able to look at where our students are in order to be able to guide them into becoming exceptional readers.
            Routman presents his optimal learning model that allows the learner to take responsibility. This model includes demonstration, shared demonstration, guided practice, and independent practice. By using Routman’s learning model you are creating a “relaxed, collaborative, accepting environment that encourages and supports the learner in trying out what is being demonstrated, taking risks, monitoring himself or herself, and setting goals while moving toward independence.”
            As a classroom teacher I have always found it necessary to model any skill or strategy I was teaching before expecting students to complete the task independently. Understanding the learning model will allow us to make different decisions. In making these decisions we will be giving children the opportunity to problem solve on their own.

            Another interesting point, made by Routman, is his statement, “Students do best when the skills they need are explicitly taught in meaningful context.” I was taught the basic skills through isolation using worksheets.  Yes, I did learn the basic skills but I never understood how they connected to other contexts. I found as a classroom teacher and like Routman basic skills are better taught through integration. This makes the skill interesting and relevant. 

2 comments:

  1. You picked up on so many good points. One that resonated with me was the idea that skills need to be taught in meaningful contexts. I dealt with worksheet based skills as I grew up. I couldn't stand teaching that way. I wonder what will drive teachers to move away from worksheet based skill and drill practice. It's time consuming to plan more meaningful lessons but so important.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi April,
    I agree with Routman's point that learning must be meaningful in order to be effective and our students need multiple opportunities for learning through scaffolding in the optimal learning model that Routman advocates. Thank you! Dawn

    ReplyDelete