Tuesday, October 13, 2015

Washburn’s Blog Post 3: Routman, Reading Essentials (chapter 3): Share your reading life

Reading Routman just made me realize that Miller was right, we do learn about ourselves through reading books! While reading chapter three in Routman’s Reading Essentials, I learned something about myself, I learned that I never thought about sharing my reading life with my students. How excellent of an idea is that?! I read all the time, but I barely speak about it. Yes, most of my books are in Russian, but I am sure that the feeling of joy for reading an enjoyable text is universal. I read daily. To be completely honest, I will skip going to the movies or dinner with friends on a Friday night, because I prefer to read my book!
Until I read Routman, I never even imagined of sharing my passion for reading with my students. I can see how it would make a difference for them. If I display positive behavior when discussing my favorite books, my students may want to share what books interest them. I now understand why they don’t like their social studies textbook! Every single time I asked them to open it to any given page, I didn’t sound very passionate about it. Now, when I talk about my Russian books, I know my face says a lot more, because I can’t wait to read them when I get home.
One thing I need to improve on in my classroom is my classroom library. After reading Routman, I also realized that I do not have a variety of genres in my classroom library and it is not very well organized. I think that if I had a “beautiful” library, it may make a huge difference for my students.

I also like how Routman included images of his own notes in his book. He added pictures of his library in chapter three and that made me like him as a writer. As a reader, I felt a sense of connection to him as the writer. I know that if I pay attention to those small details, my students must do the same when they read what I include in my classroom library. 

2 comments:

  1. Definitely share your reading life with those kids! That's such a good idea. Showing them what you like will help them see the value in reading. It'd be so cool to bring those Russian books to show them. :) As for the "beautiful" library, don't worry! As long as you have books organized in a manner familiar to your students, they will know how to use the books available. With the Scholastic books coming in, you will have a lot to add. I'd also be happy to come help you organize if you'd like. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mascha,
    I loved that you took away Routman's suggestion for sharing our reading lives with our students as a suggestion that you want to try. I know that our students look up to us as models for many areas of their life and just like we model how to solve a word problem they also depend on us to model the joy of reading and the ways that we choose to read as lifelong readers. I loved her Now and Next suggestion of sharing her book list, opening up to her students what she is reading now and what she will read next. Thank you for being willing to do the same for your students. Thanks, Dawn

    ReplyDelete