Wednesday, October 21, 2015


     One of the first things that caught my attention was the word “kidwatching”.  I have never associated this word with what I actually do in class.  When I think of kidwatching, I think in terms on watching for specific behaviors that I am monitoring.  This is usually in response to a behavior plan or reward system.  The term that I would normally use would be “assessing”.  I found that I like the term kidwatching much better because it seems more encompassing and relates to the entire child and not just a specific skill.  With special ed students, most of the time they choose to not participate in class discussions or volunteer to read aloud.  Because of this, I was encouraged by the quote “It is giving voice to students who might otherwise be silent. It is getting to know each child in as many different contexts as possible— to know each child as a person unique in all the world.”  My students are unique.  They may not be the best at one thing but can shine in other areas.  I also liked the quote “It is valuing the contributions each child makes within the learning community that is our classroom”.  Even in the Resource setting, students have strengths and weaknesses that we all need to be aware of.  Even the students themselves.  By implementing kidwatching in my room, I will be able to give specific examples of these strengths and weaknesses when conferencing with my students.  I would like to implement the use of the clipboard for my kidwatching with each student having a page for me to record information about them.  I can jot down observations when listening to read alouds, note writing difficulties, miscues and fluency.  These notes will be a valuable tool for me to use when conferencing with my students.  

3 comments:

  1. I too loved the line about giving students a voice. I believe that by helping students realize where they shine, they can become more confident in themselves and acknowledge their own strengths.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yours is a population I'd like to learn more about. I love that you see the value in kidwdatching and noticing strengths and weaknesses about the whole child. Taking this time and letting them know what you notice seems like it would be an incredibly valuable tool for raising their self-esteem.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Tina,
    I appreciate so much the way you view your students. I wish this is the way everyone viewed children - looking at what they have to offer instead of what they are lacking. I, too believe that the term kidwatching is more encompassing than assessing because inherent in kidwatching is the open ended possibilities of what you can discover about a student that isn't prescribed by a checklist or a specific skill. Thank you for seeing your students for who they are and what gifts they all bring. Sincerely, Dawn

    ReplyDelete