Monday, October 5, 2015

Blog #1 Marie Duncan Kidwatching and Listening to Children Read

Watson brings numerous interesting observations to the table.  Sharing how teachers can assess reading abililties within minutes of the first meeting is right on target. Allowing young readers to pick their nametags, attempt to read a letter, see if they seek assistance from peers, or shy away completely or possibly rely totally on the teacher for assistance provide quick assessments.   I see simliar signals in my classroom and find the three students who stop and come to a complete HALT at an unknown word frustrate me tremendously.  After trying to share numerous strategies to keep moving forward, the patterns continue.  These children predominantly crave to touch my arm, want a hug, need affirmation, say they love me repeatedly, write/draw teacher notes, and ask to sit with me at lunch.  They talk nonstop with their peers who also struggle with writing.  My conclusion, they need to be referred; they are draining 90% of my time and are reading on the PP level.  How can a third grader get so far behind without being referred?  However, I know they will not be referred to resource.  
Each child struggles to find their niche where they can see themselves as successful.  What do I do well, Mrs. Duncan?  These students are unable to pick up cues from each other, myself, or higher performing student to become more successful readers, students, and focused individuals.  What seems to work best is modeling  writing on the board, having them copy each word for word, and read the back to me....every day during the week. They are able to read and comprehend with 90% efficiency using only this process.  It doesn't seem to work unless they copy the material.  Repetition, repetition, and repetition.
Getting stuck and staying stuck brings a halt to my classroom.  They consistently have trouble logging ontothe  computer or get their screen too large, too small, or a crazy font.  They appear to try and want to suceed.  Peer reading, looking for better teams to sit with, reading one-to-one squeezing time in at lunch, etc. doesn't seem to be working.  
Kid watching.  PP students reading with childen ranging up to fouth grade levels. I am doing some heavy duty kid watching while my energy is being drained.  They need one on one teaching I feel I can't provide but feel they will not qualify for special services.  At least these children's attitudes toward reading are positive..for now...because I use funny stories more than the basal.  When utilizing Watson's formal 10 questions about student attitudes, these students have difficulty answering the question on target.  Relating their reading to real life experiences is difficult, their questions indicate little exposure to text to text or text to real word experiences.  However, their verbal skills are much higher indicating a huge gap between reading, writing, and verbal vocabulary usage.  Where are all the grandmothers in the world who take children in their laps and read, read, and read to them each night?  Oh, how we need you!

2 comments:

  1. It is hard to come from a background where we are read to daily to seeing students come to us who don't have the same privilege. It seems like you are putting a lot of effort into observing students and implementing interventions to help those who are struggling. It's an interesting observation you've made that these struggling students are also the ones craving attention from you. I'd love to hear about the strategies you are using to help them overcome the need to stop at an unknown word. Maybe we can brainstorm a solution together!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Marie,
    I too, appreciate how hard you are working to meet your students' needs and to grow them as readers and as writers. I know that our students who struggle may not quality for special education but that does not mean that they do not qualify for strategic support and our thoughtful instruction that builds on their strengths and targets their areas to grow. It sounds like a huge sweet strength of theirs is their dispositions and willingness to want to learn. I would love to suggest that we look at their miscues in a cold read and see where their strengths are - looking at the coding systems - are they making meaning and if so, how? If no, what are they focused primarily on when they are reading? Like heather, I want to help support you as you work to help this group of students. Sincerely, Dawn

    ReplyDelete