Friday, October 30, 2015

Olivia McNorrill - Post #1 Children's Success as Readers and Writers

The article caused me to reflect on my current teaching methods and how my beliefs possibly determine my decisions. It is important to not isolate learning for students but rather surround them with in a whole language classroom environment. Students need to have multiple experiences with language in  natural contexts to construct meaning. For a good foundations in students, building confidence and literary skills will lead to higher rates of success. As I continued to read, I began to think about teaching as equipping students for success as an engineer would equip a car for safety. Meaning, an engineer studies and makes adjustments to the design of a car to improve safety. By making sure the vehicle is equipped with multiple safety features, the potential for the driver to walk away unharmed in an accident increases. In turn, teachers cannot predict the future holds but through research of best practices can equip students for success in handling whatever situation may come.  I need to be careful of my impressions, perspectives, and assumptions as I prepare lessons and select materials. Ensuring variety and selecting carefully while planning, will help to ensure I am providing a whole language environment.


2 comments:

  1. Keeping an open mind when it comes to teaching practices is vital for teachers. Knowledge of what constitutes best practice evolves every day as we learn more about how children learn. Your open minded approach is a wonderful way to look at teaching. It's our job as educators to equip our students with what they need. I agree with you that the whole language approach to literacy is effective. Students need authentic encounters with reading and writing to solidify their growing understanding. Isolating skills doesn't typically lead to permanent understanding. I'm so glad you pointed this out. I look forward to seeing how this whole language approach plays out in your classroom!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Olivia,
    I loved reading your thoughts about what students need in a balanced literacy environment to grow with multiple opportunities for support in independent reading and writing. Can you tell me what specific book, chapter, and author you read? Several chapters in both the Miller and the Routman book speak to children's success as readers and writers so I wasn't sure which one you chose in order to frame my feedback. Thank you! Dawn

    ReplyDelete