Friday, October 30, 2015

The Pleasure Principle...September Post

For my September blogpost, I read The Pleasure Principle.  This article really speaks to me as I feel that so much of what is done in language arts classrooms is very teacher driven and based on some sort of reading textbook curriculum.  No child I have ever met has shown a great deal of excitement over breaking out their reading textbook daily and reading.  I have, however, seen the smiles on many happy faces as they leave the library every week, eager to share with me the four titles they specifically chose for themselves.  They are also very excited when I give them time after library to read those books (even if it's technically math time).  That excitement is what we should be seeing as teachers everyday.  That excitement is what fuels learning and creates a passion and desire to be a lifelong reader and learner. 
I absolutely love the idea of reader's workshop.  I love the idea of kids being able to have choice in their reading and becoming better readers daily while actually enjoying it!  I feel that this year we have moved in the right direction.  However, I feel that we have a bit more growing to do.  I'd like to focus on making my classroom more of a reader's workshop approach with some literature circles built in.  I feel that this would give students more ownership of their time and learning, and allow them the opportunity to grow as readers (and be happy at the same time).

2 comments:

  1. I love that you are continuing the growth process this year with an open mind! It's hard to make changes but as teachers, we need to grow all the time. I'm also glad that you see that basal reading may not always be the approach we want to take with our readers. We know that choice drives student motivation and as you mentioned that choice should be integrated into our class time. Your grade level has been very open to the idea of reading workshop and you're on the right track for allowing students to become more and more independent. Incorporating choice is a next step that I would love to help with!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Stephanie,
    I loved reading your connection to student choice and student enjoyment. Yes, I have seen this correlation too and it has motivated me to look for opportunities for student choice and ownership not just in their independent reading but throughout the day. I am thrilled that you and your colleagues are moving toward a reading workshop model! That is so very exciting! Reading really did change my life and I want students to have the opportunities to be influenced by stories that are compelling about topics of interest to them. Let me know how we can continue to support you! Sincerely, Dawn

    ReplyDelete