Tuesday, October 6, 2015

April Hollis "The Habit of Kidwatching" Blog #1


The article “The Habit of Kidwatching” was an eye opener for me. As a teacher, I would observe my students and make anecdotal notes. By the end of the year I was much like the author.  I had a ton of data, but I was unsure what to do with it.
            From this article I learned that kidwatching is a direct, intentional, systematic observation that will help the teacher create a better classroom with the information gained. It is still difficult for me to understand exactly what to look for, but Timothy O’Keefe does a good job giving examples in the section entitled, “The Clipboard.” When going into a classroom to kidwatch I will use suggestions like the ones below:
·         List publish pieces from writer’s workshop
·         Create rubrics for mechanics
·         Record comments about what I observe and hear
Next, O’Keefe gives us insight on his philosophy on coaching. After reading that section of the article I realized what he refers to as coaching is what I would do during my conferencing time. I believe having that one on one time is crucial, even though finding the time might be difficult.   I found that trying to record each miscue was hard, but I think like with anything else practicing will make me better. 
Eventually, I will find what way works best for me. This will include a system of how to collect the data as well as how to use that data. In the end, I want to make sure I am doing what is best for children so taking that risk and making a commitment will ultimately benefit my students.


2 comments:

  1. It's refreshing to read of your commitment to take risks. It's scary to approach assessment or new teaching strategies when we've become comfortable with the way things were. With the new, more rigorous standards, it's imperative that teachers use their assessments to drive instruction and make time to these one on one conferences. I'd love to help teachers find the time as well as help them conduct these conferences.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi April,
    We had the same take away from this article...I thought the same thing that the suggestions O'Keefe made for coaching is what I do during conferencing. Kidwatching supports both individual student growth, but also supports collective growth of the class because the information gathered provides the teacher with ideas for her instruction. Sincerely, Dawn

    ReplyDelete