Friday, October 30, 2015

Blog 3

Blog 3- Chapter 5 – Organizing an Outstanding Classroom Library
An outstanding classroom library is a library that is inviting, interactive, and easily navigated by all with many choices from a variety of genres. My class room library is organized by genre.  I have organized by genre because I do not feel that students are interested by level.  Reading this chapter has helped confirm this for me.  I believe that students will be successful if they have the option of choosing what books interest them.  I do feel that leveled reading is appropriate for instruction, but for independent reading students should have choice.

I will admit that after looking at the evaluation provided in this chapter, there are a few techniques I would like to add to my library.  I do want my students to be excited about using our classroom library and I want to incorporate our library into our learning.


While reading this chapter I was assured that my current feeling about the integration of technology was not only my feeling.  While I agree technology is very important, I agree with Routman that none of the resources or benefits from technology can replace the feeling of holding a book and reading for discovery. 

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad your decision to organize your library by genre instead of level was validated by your reading of this chapter. I also organized my library by genre. Focusing entirely on levels for reading purposes takes the joy out of reading and can cause more harm than good. I would love to know more about the techniques you'd like to add to your library. I loved the idea of showcasing a book of the day or having students show their favorites for their classmates to try out.

    ReplyDelete