Tuesday, October 27, 2015

October Blog: Chapter 4 Routman

Chapter four provided me with how to teach reading, modeling, scaffolding, guided reading, conferencing, and how to make your teaching worthwhile. Routman is right when she mentions teachers just try to fit so many things in such a short period of time, we seriously do believe the more stuff they are given the more they learn. I love when she says that is not true, it is more about the quality of teaching over the quantity. I can admit I sometimes give so much work because I fear I am not going to get through everything that needs to be taught. I need to learn to slow down, take my day, and guide my students into independent reading and comprehension.

Routman mentions breaking down everything with the students and modeling, demonstrating, then giving them the opportunity to try it on their own. I believe as a first year teacher sometimes I have a hard time completely letting my grasps go and allowing them to do it all on their own because I worry they may not understand what they are reading. I think it was an awesome idea that she mentioned how they allowed the students to write their own books about what they want to read about. That is how they practiced reading, allowing the students to write about what they loved and then read it. I believe this is a great practice and a practice I might consider looking into for some of my lower students.

3 comments:

  1. Kyra, I think it is a good idea to over plan just in case. Maybe plan for more, but just do not actually use it unless you need it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is easy to get bogged down in trying to fit everything in. It's important to have instruction planned for more time than you're given as a just in case, like Mrs. Hollis mentioned. One way to take the stress out of that planning and running out of time is integrating your subjects. Fifth grade already does a great job pulling literacy into all of their subject areas. Sometimes, you'll be able to teach a social studies skill during your reading block. This frees up some time in the day to get to that topic in science you've been meaning to teach. Integration is one of my favorite things to do. If you ever need help please let me know!

    In terms of the workshop approach, it is important to teach a skill, guide students in using the skill, then let them try it on their own. That idea of letting go is very daunting to all teachers. It's hard to release control. Sometimes the only way is to give it a try. Observe how your students are doing and consider conferencing with those students who seem to be struggling.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kyra,
    I agree that over planning isn't a weakness but can provide you with options in order to differentiate. I do agree with Routman's point that it is important to ensure that we aren't just rushing through the day to check off our to do list and to cover our content. Instead she advocates thoughtful, intentional instruction that targets are students' needs and provides for a gradual release of responsibility or as she calls it her optimal learning model where there are multiple opportunities to learn the strategy before independent application. Sincerely, Dawn

    ReplyDelete