Friday, October 30, 2015

Karmen Wade - Blog post 3: October: Chapter 1: Simplify Your Teaching Life



Karmen Wade - Blog post 3: October: Chapter 1: Simplify Your Teaching Life
The title: Simplify Your Teaching Life called out to me!! As a new teacher I quickly realized that teaching is a never ending job! Each school year it feels like there is always more and more for teachers to do. Introduce and learn new standards, new methods of instruction, center based learning, new age technology… that is just the beginning of the teacher’s new to do list!  With so much that teachers MUST do, when do we have time to teach? To truly teach? To read a book for fun or play a game with our students? I completely agreed with the line that said “Teachers are working way too hard! “We’re overburdened with too much to do and too little time in which to do it.” “We’re under huge pressure to cover so much material and for kids to do well on the tests.” Yes that is all true but what next…Continue complaining and doing the same things over and over until we are so overwhelmed that we hate teaching? While reading this chapter I began to reflect on my own view of teaching. I completely agree with the author when he states “that this job is very overwhelming!” However as I read more, my mind filled with questions!  Yes this job I have chosen is extremely overwhelming but when does it become so overwhelming that I or another teacher loses sight of why they wanted to become a teacher in the first place? Why did I become a teacher? It wasn’t for the pay or the summer vacations.  I wanted to help children learn. I wanted to teach children that education is the key to success! I wanted to remind young children that education doesn’t judge where a person comes from or what they look like. I wanted to teach children. After typing that sentence I realized that wanted should not be in the past tense. I want to teach children and I can. This chapter really helped me take a look at what the big picture of teaching is. This chapter provided wonderful strategies to help make a teachers life easier, more efficient, more meaningful, and more fun.
Just as I want to teach my young students that knowledge is power, I too must realize that. I definitely suffer from a lack of self-confidence, however that doesn’t mean I am not capable. Just as I tell my young students “Everyone is smart just in different ways.” In order to gain more confidence as a teacher I need to focus on the big picture- to teach children! One way I can become a better teacher is by realizing that I am smart and use my common sense!! I can also use valuable and credible teacher research to guide my teaching abilities. I can also engage in more professional conservations. I love how this chapter gave so many examples of different ways that a teacher can help simplify their life in order to teach…yes TEACH!

2 comments:

  1. Your positive attitude is wonderful. Yes, there are a lot of expectations on teachers, but we all came into this profession because we want to help children. That should be our focus regardless of the new requirements. Our job is to continue to educate ourselves on what is the best way to educate children and not become stagnant in our own growth. If we continue to rely on the same approach for every class we teach, we become less and less effective. I'm so glad you picked up on this and that you are moving through the changes with an open mind!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Karmen Wade!!! I will have to hug you the next time I see you for writing this poignant blog post! In a wonderfully written narrative you have captured why I choose to stay in this profession in spite of it being overwhelming, in spite of long hours (I am reading and responding to blog posts at 11:00 on a Friday night!) and in spite of all of the obstacles. We can teach! We have students who deserve teachers like us who desire to learn and to grow and to provide our students our very best and who look for and find their very best! Yes! Yes! Yes! Thank you for your encouragement and thank you for all you do every day to make a difference. I see it! I know your students do! Sincerely, Dawn

    ReplyDelete