Wednesday, October 28, 2015

Blog 2 Lynn Brady - Miscue Analysis for Classroom Teachers: Some History and Some Procedures


As I read this article I found the statement made that the miscues we hear in oral reading are the same found in silent reading. I had never thought of that before. That was very interesting to me. As I listen to students read I notice them reading a word that is not correct and they keep on going. I sometimes will ask them if that word made sense to them and most of the time they would say no. Why is it that they just keep going even when it doesn’t make sense?  Other students will read a passage and notice the word is not right but will go back and reread the sentence but not correct the word.

In the miscue Analysis procedure I like the idea of recording the reader on a tape recorder. I feel that not only would it be helpful to the teacher but the student could listen to him/her read. This would allow the student to better understand his reading technique, fluency and it might be fun for them to listen to themselves on tape. I bet most children have never heard themselves on tape before. The article talked about the different qualities of miscues. After reading this article the next time I read with my students I was a little more aware of the miscues they were making. This helped me to better understand the words that a student might substitute for the word printed. I could see where the word spoken could fit in the sentence. However, there are words spoken that clearly don’t make sense. From now on while I am listening to a child read I will pay close attention to recognize their miscues and the meanings behind them.

1 comment:

  1. The amount of thought that goes into assessing a reader well is astounding. There are so many processes occurring at the same time it's nearly impossible to get an idea of what readers are doing in a single sitting. That's why I love the idea of miscue analysis. Just knowing readers make mistakes doesn't help an instructor truly meet the needs of that reader. We need to know the types of mistakes the reader makes and how those mistakes hinder meaning. I'm so glad you picked up on this necessity. I'm also glad to hear that you are starting to take notice of the miscues your students are making. At our next after school meeting, we will talk about how to go deeper into miscue analysis and what steps to take after assessing your readers. After all, how any assessment informs instruction is the most important aspect of our course!

    ReplyDelete