Thursday, October 1, 2015

Karen S. Johnson-Blog Post #3 (October)

Karen S. Johnson-October Blog Post
Based on Chapter 5 of the book Reading Essentials:  The Specifics You Need to Teach Reading Well by Regie Routman

     Even though I know the importance of teachers providing classroom libraries for their students, Chapter 5 of Reading Essentials:  The Specifics You Need to Teach Reading Well continues to drive the point across and gives even more reasons why classroom libraries are a must.   The author doesn’t advocate providing just any classroom library for students.  She proposes that classroom libraries that are exemplary should contain no less than 1,000.  She also vindicated a belief that I have in which it seems we are spending so much money and investing so much time in computer programs that it would be more beneficial to put books in the hands of our students.  I, too, often feel that we putting all of our chips in the technology basket with the anticipation that it will produce students who are reading above grade level when we would have more success putting books in their hands.
     One thing that I am guilty of is not encouraging my students to be “light readers” which the author advocates.  It is difficult for me to see my students reading on second and third grade levels read books below their levels even if they are reading them for enjoyment.  I feel like I have to challenge them to go beyond.  After reading this chapter, I hope I can give them the freedom they need to be “light readers.”
     I never thought about was to have my students actively engaged in selecting books for our classroom library.  Being the control freak that I am, it is not something that I could do easily, but I think the author makes a valid point.  Students will be more involved with reading if they can read books with topics that interest them.  I am also guilty of having most of my book bins leveled.  I have done a poor job having book bins available for my students based on topics that would interest them.  The author believes in having more nonfiction books available for students which is something I believe I have succeeded in doing, but I need to have bins that are labeled by subject, not by reading ability.

     Book talks are a wonderful idea that I would like to start doing with my class.  So often we are hurried and rushed that we don’t take time to share what we are reading with each other.  I think my kids would enjoy that very much.

3 comments:

  1. I can tell we are cut from the same teaching cloth! I had to confront my own controlling nature when it came to my classroom library and the books my kids were reading. It's something I feel like a lot of us are doing now. Do we need to focus only on levels or should we focus more on providing subject area book baskets? Do we allow for off level reading if it means more time with books in hand? These are wonderful questions to reflect on when it comes to reading instruction. Another point you made about more and more programs being passed down to improve reading really resonated with me. I agree that we should be spending that money on books and we should be studying how to implement more meaningful reading time into our daily schedules. Great observation!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely agree that books should be categorized by subject and not by level. With our heterogeneous groups, we have various learning levels, styles, and interests. Students need choice in order to take ownership of their reading and allowing them to select "good fit" books on their own within their particular interest is going to produce the motivation and engagement in reading that we are seeking.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Karen,
    I agree with you that our students need books in their hands and a variety of them. I also love the point that Routman made about the importance of light reading. Ralph Fletcher also discusses the importance of allowing reading on a food chain where sometimes you allow bottom feeding reading because it will grow and we all benefit from some light, high-interest of reading. Thank you for working to focus on implementing meaningful independent reading time. Sincerely, Dawn

    ReplyDelete