Tuesday, October 27, 2015

Helen Reed - Blog 3 - The Pleasure Principle

After reading, The Pleasure Principle, I was reminded by how we need to teach students to read for pleasure. As a child, I liked reading, I would not say that I loved it. As I grew older, I have read less and less for pleasure and more for a specific purpose. This article serves as a great reminder though to just let students read for pleasure. The best books I’ve ever read are those that I’ve gotten absorbed in; the books that make me forget about everything else. I hope that by giving my students a large chunk of time during the school day to read, that they may become absorbed, or as the article says, ‘in the reading zone’. 


I provide my students with independent reading time each day. I start with a mini-lesson discussing the topic or skill we are focusing on and model for the students how to use this skill while reading. I then have the students try to transfer that skill to their reading by completing a sticky note or chart while reading. Good readers don’t have a chart next to them while they read though. Good readers simply use the skills they’ve learned and apply them simultaneously while they read. While I believe my students must practice these skills in order to master them, I also believe that sometimes students should just read for the fun of it! While I know that I will not be able to do this every single day, maybe every once in a while we can just ‘read in the zone’. 

2 comments:

  1. Structuring your independent reading time by teaching a skill, practicing it with students, then allowing them to practice independently is a great idea. This workshop approach gives you a chance to provide support for the independent reading in your schedule. In my classroom, I often had them respond in some way, like you mentioned, on a sticky note or in their journals. It's one of the ways I was able to see if they were internalizing the lessons I'd taught. Another way was conferencing. Talking with students at least once a week let me get to know them as readers. It also told me whether they were struggling with a skill we'd already covered. How are you using conferencing? Would that be an option in your independent reading time?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Helen,
    Like Heather, I want to validate what you are doing with your reading workshop where you are providing students with a mini-lesson that gives them purpose for their reading and an opportunity to apply what they are learning in their own books. I also appreciate how you want to promote reading for fun but you can do this within your mini-lessons, taking time to model a love for reading and to discuss your favorite books and theirs. Thanks, Dawn

    ReplyDelete