Friday, October 30, 2015

Blog Post 2: September: Tiffany Thompson: The Pleasure Principle

    When I first began reading this article I was like, “Whoa, wait a minute!  I don’t know what classroom you have been in lately but English lessons (at least in elementary schools) do not look like what you are describing.”  Then, I glanced to the bottom of the article and noticed the date, 2007.  Yeah, maybe it was a little like that eight years ago but teachers have come such a long way since then.  Administrators and teachers have worked very hard to teach reading and writing using a more holistic approach.
   Reading on, I agree with many of the points made by the author about putting books into students’ hands and let them get into the “zone.”  The best thing we can do to help readers grow is to give them opportunities to read.  Giving them control of the books they want to read will encourage them to come back for more.
   I vaguely remember my childhood reading experiences in the classroom.  What I remember most is being grouped with other students that were on the same reading level and we all read from basal readers.  It was monotonous and did not do anything to encourage me to read for the love of reading.  However, it was my trips to the library and picking out my own books that gave me pleasure.  No judgement, no guilt.  I could check out the same book over and over and never had to answer to anyone over my book selection. 
   For young students, I have to say as a kindergarten teacher, I have noticed many students were not read to at home prior to coming to school.   Some do not have a collection of favorite books to make connections to.  I do a lot of read alouds and make those books as well as books in the same genre or by the same author available should students like to look at them at their leisure.  It is difficult to just let students “go” at such a young age without setting some boundaries and guidelines such as “what good readers do.” 

   The best take-aways from this article would have to be “The Readers’ Bill of Rights”, the terms used for the different levels of books, and the recommendations from a seventh grader on what a reading zone needs.    I plan to make anchor charts and create an atmosphere in the classroom that is arranged for optimal reading potential for my students.

1 comment:

  1. The idea to create a reading zone in your room that allows for choice and provides examples of texts you've exposed children to already is a great one. We are faced with a new challenge when children come to us with not prior experience with books. It sounds like your approach of reading aloud and sharing favorite authors with students is a great place to start. I'm also glad that you realize that all children need to learn what good readers do. Mini-lessons on good reading strategies are excellent to conduct in the reading workshop approach. After modeling what it looks like to pick a just right book or make a connection, you can allow students to practice on their own.

    ReplyDelete