Tuesday, October 27, 2015

Washburn’s November Blog on Miller, Section 3: But That

Washburn’s November Blog on Miller, Section 3: But That
What really stood out to me in Miller’s section 3 is her demonstration of “circular” reading schedule. It is clear and I have to say that I have been using something similar every day. Just yesterday we began out reading on Immigration (after a short discussion and questions that needed to be answered). Students in my classroom were assigned into purposefully selected groups. They knew what to look for during their small group reading and they worked beautifully. At the beginning of this year I even took a survey asking them if they thought that the teacher should lecture and read all day or if students should do most of the work after a mini lesson on any assigned topic/project/research and not one student said that they would prefer lectures over hands on student projects.


Another thing that stood out to me was the idea of pausing and reflecting on what students read. I agree! As adults we are able to simultaneously comprehend as we read. We are able to “feel” what we read because we have practiced all of our lives, but students have to learn how to do that as we did. I ask them to talk about their reading and to reflect on it. It’s amazing how engaged they become and when I call time, they just want to keep discussing their reading. I know that, because I never stop listening to what each student has to say during independent group reading. To me, reflection of reading or anything for that matter is the most important part of education. I reflect on everything I do if it truly matters, but this ability came from reflecting on smaller less influential things (such as stories or events that happened as I was growing up). I know that students reflect on everything that happens to them. They may not do it intentionally, but I can teach them how to do that, because thoughtful reading leads to thoughtful writing and both result in thoughtful people.  

1 comment:

  1. Hi Mascha,
    I appreciate how you working to apply the strategies that you are learning about from this course into your classroom. I agree with you that as adults many of our reading habits and behaviors are unconscious now because we have become proficient readers. It sis important for us as teachers to model these behaviors and provide multiple opportunities for our students to apply them with support and feedback throughout the circular structure. Sincerely, Dawn

    ReplyDelete