Saturday, October 31, 2015

Olivia McNorrill - Post #2: The Pleasure Principle

As a young student, I never saw myself as a reader. Reading was something I was required to do and not something I sought out in my free time. I was taught how to read but not how to be a reader. It wasn't until I took an undergraduate course in American Literature. The way my professor presented a book, piqued interest, shared his opinions, supported my opinions, and boosted my confidence forever changed me. Years (and years) later, I am still an avid reader, love book discussions, and am rarely without my Kindle. 

While reading, "The Pleasure Principle," I found myself nodding in agreement throughout the entire article. As a parent, I want my children to be passionate, critical, lifelong readers - reading for a completely intrinsic purpose. As an educator, I absolutely want to the same for all of my students. Regardless of genre, fiction or non-fiction, to be lost in a book or "in the reading zone" is the ultimate goal. "The reading zone is the place where readers go when they leave our classrooms behind and live vicariously in their books." (p. 60)  The challenge for educators is how to merge the "how to" with the "how to be."

Atwell shared the reading workshop approach for moving students into the reading zone. Reading workshop time begins with a brief introduction of book, whether it be a new one or old favorite, During the mini lesson, teachers share about authors, illustrators, genres, elements of fiction/nonfiction, punctuation, giving voice to a reading, what sequels are, purposes of reading, etc. As well as, their own personal reading rituals and plans. Then following the mini lesson, the room becomes quiet as students read in silence. The teacher's role during this time, is not to watch the clock but rather come along side a student and ask questions about what they are reading, guide them in selecting books, and build student confidence as readers. The teacher would also include time for book discussions and read alouds.  Elements that aide in the success of reading workshop is providing daily reading time, ensuring silence, providing comfort, and keeping record keeping simple. Also, the classroom library continues to grow and get better each year. Reflecting on my own teaching practices, I realize that my student independent reading time needs more of these elements. While I am strong in some, I have unintentionally neglected others. The article was a wonderful reminder of what students need for reading success. I walk away from it challenged to stretch my students more as I build and foster life-long readers! 

Atwell, Nancie. (January/February 2007). The Pleasure Principle. Instructor, 44-46, 60.




2 comments:

  1. Atwell really appealed to a lot of us as educators in this article. We confronted our practices in the classroom and compared them to our own reading lives. I loved that you picked up on the idea that we need to merge the ideas of "how to" with "how to be." Consistently relying on skill and drill won't create readers who enjoy reading from kindergarten to 5th grade. Reading posts from teachers on every level, the consensus seems to be that relying on worksheets and not allowing time to practice is dulling the joy students have for reading. Your take on this article and the way you welcome the challenge to focus on your own classroom practices will only help to better your approach with your kids.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Olivia,
    You did a wonderful job in your blog post of summarizing an effective reading workshop while also sharing with us your reading life and pinpointing the areas of your instruction that you want to target for growth! This was my hope for the blog posts - that they would be a reflective tool to think on the reading and to apply the suggestions and ideas to our practice. Thank you! Sincerely, Dawn

    ReplyDelete